Sorting out wiring etc for new boiler

Hmm, I've never taken an immersion heater* to bits - do they combine element and thermostat, or are they separate? Just wondering if the element mounting is something reasonably standard (even if the actual tank model is old/rare), so if you can pull the dead element and wave it under someone's nose at a physical shop, you might be able to find a replacement.

  • here in the US, water heaters tend to be taller and narrower, typically with two elements and a seperate thermostat controlling each - there's a _lot_ of standardisation of thermostat modules, mountings, and elements though, so it's easy to get replacement bits, even for obscure makes and models.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Is it obsolete as it does not have the secondary thermal cut out that new elements were required to have fitted a couple of years ago?

An 11" element is basically an 11" element and all that changed was the secondardy cut out.

Good luck

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Indeed...

1) right thread 2) right length 3) Sunvic etc slide in safety stat (or inbuilt), making sure it doesn't hit any coils.

I prefer replaceable thermostat over the inbuilt type, easier to replace in future & often better crimps/spot-weld connections. Should be no more than =A328 all in even with an Inconel sheath and separate branded safety-stat.

It only gets more difficult if you want an IPx4 rated glanded cover (more industrial) re zone location. Bring back the wonderful Art Deco switchgear, modern stuff is just so depressing :-)

Reply to
js.b1

Well Redring got back to me and told me the model number had changed to A11dc (where presumably dc = double cut-out, so I guess you're right).

Still not particularly easy to get hold of, and I bought this one at £35 delivered which still seemed steep for an immersion heater element, although a hell of a lot better than the original quote:

finally able to get it fitted today - couldn't really diy with it being an unvented tank, and for the same reason I wasn't going to second-guess the manufacturer's reccomended element. Are you going to tell me that what I've bought is just a bog-standard one, then?!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Sounds a good idea. The old one had a replaceable stat (which hadn't failed); the new one is welded in though :-(

David

Reply to
Lobster

> Was finally able to get it fitted today - couldn't really diy with it

Not if the picture looks like yours.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

A small price to pay for hot water and domestic harmony.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Indeed; if only, though.

Still no central heating: I blame that Mr Rumm, at who's instigation my plumber is putting together a quote for a weather-compensation system. It's evidently causing him some grief (plus they're rushed off the feet at the moment as it's right in the middle of "turn-on-the-heating-in-autumn-and-panic-because-it-doesn't-work" time :-(

David

Reply to
Lobster

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster saying something like:

you found. Secondly, that's a f*ck of a price - I can get them for half that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon