Soil pipe into cast iron collar

Hello,

I have a plastic soil pipe from the upstairs bathroom that goes into a cast iron collar and then a length of cast iron pipe that goes into the ground.

The plastic soil pipe has been "sealed" into the collar with some putty like stuff, but this is breaking up and coming out. I would like to replace this putty type stuff but have no idea what it is. A better solution would probably to use a proper adaptor but for now I just want to reseal it.

So any ideas on what this putty tyype stuff is?

Thanks,

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones

In message , Graham Jones writes

It quite possibly is just putty, as that was traditional the material for sealing CI joints.

A modern sealant is a better solution. I had the same in the old house when i replaced the bathroom. IIRC I used 'roof and gutter' sealant to seal the joint, but a General purpose Silicone sealant would be fine i imagine. It had been there a few years when I moved with no problems

Reply to
chris French

Probably "Plumbers mait".

Skipweasel

Maybe Plumber's Mait? (about 2p/kilo from real plumbers' merchants (or £10 for a pissing-small container from DIY shops :-)))

If it's all dried up you could maybe chip out the old stuff and re-seal it with an MS polymer such as Stixall which will bond as well as seal the joint (if that's what you want).

Reply to
YAPH

chris French ( snipped-for-privacy@familyfrench.co.uk) wibbled on Monday 28 February 2011 22:23:

I've used ordinary caulk before now on old iron joints, where the seal was established by grease and rubber fins further in. You could pack it with any old crap (eg plumbers mait, putty etc) and, leaving 1/4" depth, fill up th remainder with silicone and give it a quick wipe around with a finger/fugendoobrey/credit card for a nice finish that will last.

Reply to
Tim Watts