So what did they use before asbestos for loose fill insulation

A thought that crossed my mind. After looking up what was used in Rayburn cookers and all I can find is a reference to a letter that asbestos was never used for loose fill.
Was rockwool around?
Was fibreglass around?
Lawrence
usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

Confusing isn't it - asbestos insulation is produced from mineral found in rock - so I guess that this would class as rock mineral.
I was assured that asbestos had never been used for loose fill by the Rayburn people - back then Rayburn was still the company, not just an Aga brand name.
AFAIK they used rockwool style stuff - when I rebuilt my old Rayburn in the late 70s I managed to get some Rocksil.
See http://www.knaufinsulation.co.uk/index.asp .
This has been going since 1946 in various guises.
Don't know when Rayburns were first built, but I presume rock fibre insulation is an old product.
Aha - http://www.aga-rayburn.co.uk/flash_index.html states "The Rayburn was first developed as a cooker and water heater in the 1940s "
http://www.naima.org/pages/resources/faq/faq_mineral.html states "Health and safety research on rock and slag wool has been ongoing for nearly 70 years. " This implies that the product was around in the 1930s in significant enough quantities to justify H&S research.
So logically rock mineral fibre can have been used as insulation since the first Rayburn was built.
Now off to do some real work :-)
Cheers Dave R
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:52:52 +0000, Lawrence

Vermiculite
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Caustic soda?

Michael Mcneil wrote:

Mornington Crescent.

It's on again, I'm sorry I haven't a clue started the latest series today. An earlier series is on Channel 7 -whatever that is.
Why is it 80 to watch free to view?

Lawrence wrote:

Neiher of those was, but other minerals were. Can't remember what they were tho.

Vermiculite - how many times must I tell you :-).
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/

Which, the hydrated phlogopite or the hydrated biotite one?
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Peter Parry wrote:

isn't that phlogophite?

I think that the real question here is whether the Makita hair-splitting tool is better than the PPPro one (with 3 year guarantee) or the Ferm equivalent.
Corded or battery.
Of course, eye protection and a mask shoudl always be worn...
;-)
Richard
-- Richard Sampson
Seems like rockwool and fibreglass have been around a long time.
Rayburn (aga-rayburn) state that they have only ever used rockwool and fibreglass. I asked them about a 1960s rayburn Nr1.
Lawrence
usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk