So that's where socks go!

My sons house is between tenants this weekend so I have been roped in to tidying the place up. One problem we discovered was the washing machine full of water and not pumping out. Up ended and the pipe removed from the pump and out came a two pence piece which had been neatly blocking the pump. Behind it out came a child's sock! Now if the coin had not been there the sock might have been chewed up and pumped out never to have been seen again.

So that's one of life's mysteries solved:-)

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

There's other routes too though: once found one hanging out of the labrador's arse. My kid didn't want it back for some reason

David

Reply to
Lobster

Socks....you want socks.......... ! I have a couple of Launderettes, and the number of single socks that are left in the washing machine drums or Tumble Dryer drums is legion! We have piles of them, and what is really strange is that people rarely come back for them. All you have to do is look into the drum and see what's left - simples !!!!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

What people fail to realise (in the case of washing machines, at least) is that single socks and other small items can 'stick' to the drum when slightly damp. No-one seems to look 'up' to the 'top' of the drum...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I always turned the drum by hand after I'd emptied it, and ran my hand round the bit you can't see. I still lost socks...

At least now I have my own washing machine, any "lost" socks normally turn up in the next wash.

IME, the reason people rarely go back to the launderette for socks is that they're so cheap, it's not worth the effort. At the last one I used, you could rarely find the staff anyway.

Reply to
John Williamson

Dot is getting too old for the job.

Reply to
Martin

When an odd number of socks come out of the machine, it may have been because an odd number went in. I buy my socks in multiples of the same colour, so it's easy to misplace one when grabbing them from the laundry basket. The next time, it emerges from behind my shirt or from the bottom of a trouser leg to be reunited with its former partner.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

I buy socks in multiples of the same colour so that when I get dressed I cannot end up wearing odd socks.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

There are staff? When our local launderetted stopped supplying water to the machines, it took over an hour for someone summoned by mobile to get there, and he looked as though he had been 'rudely interrupted', shall we say.

And my theory of lost socks is that they are reincarnated as wire clothes hangers.

Reply to
Davey

and then as car aerials.

Reply to
Martin

I got a job lot of black with coloured heel/toes from M&S. The "silver" impregnated ones. Which I'd have to say, seems to work, in that I like to kick my shoes off at work and the cheese factor is now zero :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

I had this, and interestingly it was full of excrement. After that we called him sausage dog, because the kids thought that with a suitable diet he could be used to manufacture sausages.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

They're fatheads then, aren't they. I always rotate the drum by hand a couple of times to be sure to have everything out.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well that'll teach you to eat socks, won't it...

David

Reply to
Lobster

I had a set of the ones like that with the days of the week printed on them...

Caused a real dilemma - should I wear them on the appropriate day, and risk the ambulance men thinking I'm OCD when I get knocked down by a bus? Or should I wear them on an inappropriate day and risk the ambulance men thinking I'm disorganised and/or wearing days old socks?

I went for the latter approach. Among the pluses were that it upset my osteopath who is a bit OCD about such things. Particularly good was wearing one "Saturday" and one "Sunday" sock, as they had the same colour bands...

My daughter, on the other hand, always wears odd socks. One of her brothers explained to her years ago that socks were like the poles of a magnetic and matching ones repel, so if she wore matching socks she'd be always doing the splits...

Reply to
Mark Bluemel

My lab had a thing for plastic and would occasionally exhibit clingfilm streamers from its nether region.

Reply to
grimly4

Where do you go that you need to take your shoes/boots off and just leave the socks on?

I can think of a few places but nut many.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Humph! I've just dicovered that, of 2 pairs of socks bought in a pack, 3 are the same length and 1 is 2" longer (or the other 3 are 2" shorter). It's over a year since I bought them, TFLN!

Reply to
PeterC

You have to take your shoes off at an airport?

I was thinking more along the lines of a customers house (but I carry indoor shoes for that job) and the police station (when under arrest, not for just walking in).

Agree with the mosque one, but you ofen have to remove your socks as well.

In Eastern Europe it is good practice to swap your shoes when entering a house, but you swap your shoes and don't walk around in your socks.

Reply to
ARWadsworth