smoke alarms and steam

My wife has one of these steam generator irons, she has had it for a few years but recently while she has been using it the smoke alarm has went off especially when it is raining outside.

She in the kitchen ironing and the smoke alarm is in the hall. The smoke alarm is about 15 years old and when it started doing this I replaced the battery and gave it a dust and hoover but it still goes off when she irons.

I am going to buy a new smoke alarm but before I do is there any that are not sensitive to high humidity or is it just because today it is raining and the humidity is already high and the steam is flowing along the ceiling and through the vent above the lounge door?

Ron

Reply to
Rocket Ron

I'm sure that this has been discussed recently, and ISTR that there are more than one type of sensor used - one of which may be more sensitive to steam than another.

At very least, get one with a silencing button so that you can shut it up if it *does* go off.

Reply to
Roger Mills

"Rocket Ron" wrote

Hi Ron

For information, try looking at the AICO web site. They sell Ionisation and Optical smoke detectors, as well as heat detectors for garage and kitchen where smoke detectors as less appropriate. This link may answer some of your questions

technical phone help and backup is good, but their kit isn't cheap.

HTH

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster