Small compressor for cleaning

I frequently have to clean out printed circuit boards, ventilation grillles. Currently using Scuba tank with regulator and nozzle but looking for a very small compressor. It would have to be installed inside or the local yobbos would steal it and I have no garage outhouse to install one in. Any recommendations?

It happens that Z formulated :

You can buy a small diaphram compressor good for around 60psi. These are about 10x6x6" and use a rubber diaphram instead of a piston, operated by a crank via a 240v mains motor. They are relatively expensive.

For occaisional use, you might consider one of those cheap 12v compressors sold in car accessory shops for inflating car tyres. They do not have much output volume, but can achieve over 100psi.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Trouble is they're 12 volts and take a deal of current - the PS might well cost as much as the tool.

Howsabout one of those air nailers? Would the compressor with that be any good for this job?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I should think so, the portable tyre inflator things shift about as much air as fart, you'd be waiting a very long time to bring a scuba cylinder up to 100psi.

From brief looks the nailers have a small reservoir so will do cleaning duties "out of the box" (with a nozzle) check for standard connectors... However they might not auto switch on/off based on reservoir pressure but could still be used to recharge the scuba cylinder.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Useless because of the low volume, you need more volume and less pressure for PCB cleaning and such.

Reply to
usenet

Look at the "shhhh" range of compressors sold by machine mart. I have used one, and although expensive, are virtually silent, ideal for indoor use. (They make the same noise as a fridge).

A mate uses one for airbrush work in his home.

Alan