sliding door rails.

i forgot to add to the list of jobs i have to do i have to enclose our open lada. a simple job that just means putting up another shelving rail on one wall and putting up a side with a rail on it and then... two sliding doors in the front.

anyone have any experience with these sliding rails, suggestions on ones to use and anything to look out for when installing and setting it up?

i was thinking about buying this one on ebay to save a few quid: 121160371633

the guy says its a double 60 which seems to be this:

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Reply to
happy zombie jebus on the cros

I've built a fitted wardrobe using, I think, doors from Homebase (of all places) which use the Stanley rail system. These run on wheels at the bottom with a guide in the top rail. Neat and reliable from my experience. Main thing (given my uneven floors) was to get the bottom rail firm and level.

Reply to
newshound

I'd have thought you needed a garage for that!

a simple job that

I don't like sliding doors because - with only 2 rails at any rate - you can only ever expose less than half the opening at a time.

Are you proposing to use them because there isn't room for hinged doors? If so, have you considered bi-fold doors? These expose much more of the opening without encroaching into too much room space.

Reply to
Roger Mills

the lada comes upto 8" from the edge of the door frame into the kichen, on the other side of the doorframe is the fridge, so there isn't a fantastic amount of room for opening doors. opening doors is doable. i was working on the principle that whoever goes into it knows which side whatever they want is on, so slide the approprate door.

i like the idea of opening doors as its less buggering about. i shall talk to the mrs as the lada is her domain, i just rummage and mess it all up when i do the cooking. which pisses her right off.

i'd like to get it done sooner rather than later as it'll realy tidy up the look of the kitchen.

--

mhm x v i x i i i

Reply to
happy zombie jebus on the cros

happy zombie jebus on the cross

[snip]

Shouldn't you park it a bit further away?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bifolds can push into the opening...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

They *can* but that then reduces the usable space inside the cupboard, and may not look very pretty anyway, because more of hinges and other gubbins will show.

Reply to
Roger Mills

But no where near as much space as a full door. B-) This is a lada[sic] so I'm thinking of a something understairs walkin size so

3' or so deep.

The only extra thing visible are the hinge pins. You still need a handle of some sort to either pull them open (outwards) or pull them closed (inwards). The handle for inward opening needs to be flush or it will stop the doors folding fully and thus opening fully.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, I suppose that's true if the doors are thick enough to fit the hinges on the edges. I was thinking more of folding wardrobe doors which I have made out of contiboard in the past, with the hinges flat on the rear surface.

Yes indeed. And, thinking about it, you might even be able to hide more of the track since the doors don't have to come out under whatever trim strip you fit over it.

Reply to
Roger Mills