Slabs on Drive

Hi All

I'm going to lay some 450 x 450 concrete slabs on the edge of my drive and I know they will eventually be driven on by wife & daughters - despite dire warnings not too.

So, I plan to put in 6" deep footings, 4" of hardcore & 2" of concrete, then lay the slabs on a solid bed of mortar - about 3/4" thick.

Is that going to be strong enough, or do I need to keep digging?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

your Bible for this.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Do they still advise 'hardcore' in such things (I don't think they do in 'footings' etc)?

I know a local guy who just added a 3rd 'pad' to his front hard standing (to add a van beside the two cars) and I noted:

1) It was dug fairly shallow 2) They put hardcore in in places 3) There was an iron gate in one bit ??

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Depends on weight of wife and how many daughters. If in doubt - keep digging and increase the concrete thickness !!

Pete

Peter Stockdale

Get strong thick slabs, not cheepie B&Q ones, you may have 1/2 a chance.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

That will easily be enough. I toshed some 2" thick 600x600 conc slab on mud as a temporary (2 years ago!) measure to park a car and they ha only settled minimally and no cracks - surprised me!! Your build up wil be well adequate

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy