Sink in Toilet

Can anyone tell me if it is a legal requirement to have a wash hand basin in a separate toilet in the UK? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
katogrove

Building regs state adequate hand washing facilities in 'rooms containing water closets' or '*rooms or spaces adjacent to rooms containing water closets*'.

So basically yes, or at least in the entrance annex thereof or in some room immdeiately off...but watch out for fire regs if you have too many doors to get through as you run from the burning urinal etc etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Those curries can be lethal.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Do you mean for new build? If so, it is not required to have a basin in the WC. But if not, then a hand washing facility must be in an adjacent room accessed from the WC.

If you mean for an existing WC, then there is no legal requirement under any Housing law for a basin .

dg

Reply to
dg

The rules recently changed. Before, they wanted you to have multiple doors between the kitchen and toilet in the belief that airborne particles were responsible for food poisoning. However, recent scientific studies show that this is unnecessary. Almost all contamination is from failure to wash hands. This is why you are now permitted to have a toilet adjacent to a kitchen, provided that you do install the washbasin.

In any case, a toilet without a nearby washbasin (NOT THE KITCHEN SINK!) is quite a disgusting idea.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I can't see why. Kitchen sinks are used to wash everything including the ... oh well, you know what I mean.

In our small and old caravans there is only one washing point - the sink.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In any case, the contamination probably isn't because you've contaminated the sink, but because by the time you've actually got as far as the kitchen, you've forgotten the need (or your kids have) or have been tempted to touch things (such as food) along the way.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

For a moment, glancing at the subject, I'd imagined a (rather disgusting) combo appliance.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You get all-in-one appliances in Japan, though probably not in the way you were thinking of :-) The "sink" bit is a cold water tap, mini-basin and drain on the top of the cistern.

G.

Reply to
G.W. Walker

naa, you can wash your hands in the toilet bowl :)

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Reply to
katogrove

that idea struck me as of possible value, as the used sink water is reused for the next flush, reducing water use and increasing bowl cleanness (the detergents). And incidentally less plumbing is needed.

but at first sight that appears to create sink access problems: how do they deal with that?

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

katogrove writes

That must be almost unique now! I remember the prefabs in East Lane, Wembley being demolished [even tho they were in good shape] in the late 60's, and I believe thousands have had brick shells put round them.

Is it Listed?

Reply to
roger

Top of the seat is a kneeling mat?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Ian Stirling wrote in news:417f924f$0$33635$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net:

My thoughts were it might relate to the problem expressed in Peter Kaye's opening line in his recent beer ads on TV: "I don't care whose it is, it's floating".

Reply to
Jo

And, in extremis, I do.

Let's face it after a bad curry experience, its more than your hands that need washing isn't it?

I takke a tip from the Latin and Asian communities: After a toilet expereince of any sort, you should wash everything involved.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That figures. The moment it is modernised, teh BCO will insist on adequate washing facilities.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote | Building regs state adequate hand washing facilities in | 'rooms containing water closets' or '*rooms or spaces | adjacent to rooms containing water closets*'.

The specification of 'water' for the closets seems to leave a loophole in the regs wide open, especially for the environmentally-friendly composting type of household.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I want our household to be like that but can't find a supplier.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Building regs are specifically couched in a way that precludes loopholes.

In essence each reg has a 'reason for existence' and 'spirit of interpretation' followed by 'regulatory guidelines for common cases'

I.e. if you chose to line your chineny with molten volcanic lava pured into EX NASA ceramic space shuttle tiles, its up to pu to show this meets the requirements of the regs in terms of heat transfer and resistance to heat: The BCO will let you do it, but require an engineers report. OTOH when using double insulated flue liners, he can pass them on the nod.

It is perfectly clear that the regulations require a means of washing or oherwise sterlising your hands after they have wiped your arse.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher