Single LV light on dimmer

I have a single 50W LV Halogen downlight (max 60W dimmable transformer) on a 40-250W dimmer switch. The light flickers and does not dim smoothly. I have replaced the dimmer switch and the same thing happens.

It has been suggested that the problem is being caused by having too little load on the dimmer switch i.e. they work more effectively when loaded closer to the 250W maximum.

Therefore does anyone know of another solution e.g. a dimmer that works from 20W-150W say or similar. I do want the light to dim as it is above the bed and don't always want it on full brightness.

Thanks

Ben

Reply to
benfreeman1

I don't have an answer to your question, but can report the same problem. I installed a four lamp track light on a dimmer (all bought from TLC) and got the same result when I tested it with a single bulb in. Two bulbs were better but still not right, and three or more worked fine. Must admist I had assumed it was a problem with the mostly unloaded 250W transformer I was using, rather than being down to the dimmer though.

Reply to
John Rumm

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com said the following on 01/11/2005 16:33:

It's true that the semiconductors in the dimmer design require a "significant" load current to work smoothly.

However, you should be sure (if you have not done so) that the dimmer and transformer are compatible. Some dimmers do not like toroidal transformers and some electronic dimmers are either i. crap (sorry) or ii. "fussy".

Besides changing the dimmer and/or transformer for different brands, There are generally two ways to get around the problem, one is to connect additional lighting load somewhere else (e.g. on the landing, in the bathroom) and the other is to connect a dummy heating load.

You might be able to find somewhere you could connect something like one of these:

parallel with your lamp.

HTH

Reply to
Rumble