Simply - a screwdriver

Can anyone recommend a good make or source for screwdrivers. I've been buying Stanley (thinks: 'good name, should be OK') and I'm sick of the driving ends just splintering off the shafts after a couple of months, making them useless. No more Stanley's then.

Anyone recommend a make that will take a bit of hard work, and last a decent time?

Davey

Reply to
Davey

Perhaps Stanley's aren't as good as they used to be but I've a cross point one thats now 25years old and is still very good. I did buy it in the US though, maybe they have better stuff there.

Reply to
BillR

Try Wickes who have a set of soft grip drivers for £10. Well made.superb on the hands and take abuse.

Reply to
IMM

Please!!!

Does a good workman abuse his tools?!

I never hit them with a hammer, all three have broken whilst (hand) screwdriving with them

Davey

Reply to
Davey

Problem is, you need a receipt to get anyone to take anything back. In the past I haven't bothered keeping it - 'what can go wrong with a screwdriver?'. I will in future though.

It's the tips that go, I guess they are hardened, and possibly that's what makes them so brittle. The tips just splinter off whilst screwdriving with them. 3, possibly 4 Stanleys, all gone the same way. Crosspoint mostly, but at least one flat.

Davey

Reply to
Davey

You don't need a receipt as far as i was aware.

They ask for one but you don't need one in most cases?

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark

Sorry Mr Schwazzeneger. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

In message , Mark writes

You don't have to produce a receipt necessarily, but I think the shop is allowed to ask for some sort of proof of purchase.

Reply to
chris French

Sir!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yep, that's what I did when my Stanley "Magnum" 2pt pozi splintered (no strong letter though). They sent a replacement without a quibble, in fact with an apology IIRC. Then they sent a replacement for the replacement which was bent... Hmmm, and this was going to show them in a good light up until that point too.

Cheers, Alf

Reply to
Alf

It must be quite a fine line making a posidrive that's hard enough to last, but not so hard it shatters. I've got several that have 'rounded off' just slightly, but enough to make them near useless. At least you can regrind them to be a paint tin opener...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

So next time I buy a screwdriver, I'll try "I'll be back -- if it breaks".

Reply to
Davey

LOL

That might work you know. :-)) I'll be back !!! Hasta La Vista, Baby.

Reply to
BigWallop

Dave> It must be quite a fine line making a posidrive that's hard Dave> enough to last, but not so hard it shatters. I've got Dave> several that have 'rounded off' just slightly, but enough to Dave> make them near useless. At least you can regrind them to be Dave> a paint tin opener...

Apart from a couple of small ones, I have about 5 hex drive handles and multiple assortments of bits. When one rounds off, I just throw it. Replacement heads are pennies, and the cheaper (softer) ones often round the screw-head less.

There are two alternatives I've seen discussed - one is a posidrive (or perhaps phillips) bit with some ridges which help to stop it sliding out of the screw, and the other is to use torx headed screws.

AndyC

--

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
- Everything you wanted to know | | about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ "The world has gone crazy: The best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war." -- Anon

Trouble is all the handles would be the same size, so making it easier to strip small heads. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Well, I went to a 'proper' tool shop and bought me a (I hope) really top class pozi screwdriver. I was assured I would never be able break it. £12 it was. Second slight downer: it was of foreign origin.

I wonder why it doesn't seem possible for a UK manufacturer to make something as simple a a screwdriver, of good quality and at a reasonable price. It's hardly rocket science, is it?

And if it doesn't break, then I'll have to buy a whole set! Deary me.

Davey

Reply to
Davey

I find Halfords better than the sheds for screwdrivers. I suppose the conditions are more demanding in the motor trade and this filters down to the d-i-y end.

Reply to
stuart noble

In article , stuart noble >something as simple a a screwdriver, of good quality and at a reasonable

Most of Halford's better tools are made by Facom - a French company who also own IIRC Britool and Sykes-Pickavant. And I read they were moving most manufacturing out of the UK.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

reasonable

Reply to
Mindwipe

Thanks for that tip, I'll go to Halfords and buy another (different size) as number two of my new 'never-break' screwdriver set. Whichever breaks first loses!

Davey

Reply to
Davey