Simple washing machine waste query

I want to put my washing machine into my new utility room and have a query = about how to fit the waste pipe.

Normally, I would just buy a standpipe with a u-bend and fit that to the ex= isting (horizontal) waste pipe. However, the existing waste pipe is fed by = the condensation pipe of the boiler. This converts from a 3/4" pipe to a 40= mm waste pipe that runs above the skirting along the wall to the main soil = pipe.

I think my options are to fit something like this:

and put the standpipe in the middle c= onnector.

or=20

to fit one of these:

query is, if I were to fit the latter, would I need to worry about smell= s coming up from the waste pipe into the machine as there would be no trap?= Do I need to have a trap/U-bend for a washing machine waste?

At present there is no sink in the utility room so the waste pipe would be = handling only the boiler condensation and the washing machine waste.

Any help welcome.

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
dan.woodford

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

At a rough guess I would think that there would be some water left in the hose that would form a trap, especially if you were to form the hose so that it had a "U" bend in it.

But I'm sure that there will be more knowledgeable people along soon to comment.

Reply to
Bill

I'd use that - seems like a neat idea.

Yes - for the same reason as any other drain - to stop pongs coming back out.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes - if it is a push on fit rather than a dangle-hose-inside-standpipe arrangement. But a proper u-trap is better.

Reply to
Tim Watts

From memory, the washing machine hose will be looped upwards and should always have water in it. Therefore, no trap necessary to prevent smells getting into machine.

And by using one of those "injector" style connections, there will be nowhere for steam/moist air to come out.

Reply to
polygonum

Also stops drafts coming in if the w/m pipe is just stuck in the top of the waste pipe. We inherited a w/m outlet which had no trap or bend. No smell (the waste was only for the w/m and stopped above a clean gulley) but the draft was boggling when the wind was in the wrong direction.

Reply to
Robin

In message , Tim Watts writes

Which was the link that the OP showed in his second link.

Reply to
Bill

It's probably worth saying that the hose exits at the top of the machine but the instructions still say there should be a 'loop' in the waste pipe.

The filter is at the bottom and is usually full of water so there is obviously some water left in the machine after it has finished a cycle. Maybe an internal trap?

Thanks for all the replies.

Dan

Reply to
danw

y about how to fit the waste pipe.

existing (horizontal) waste pipe. However, the existing waste pipe is fed b= y the condensation pipe of the boiler. This converts from a 3/4" pipe to a =

40mm waste pipe that runs above the skirting along the wall to the main soi= l pipe.

onnector.

lls coming up from the waste pipe into the machine as there would be no tra= p? Do I need to have a trap/U-bend for a washing machine waste?

e handling only the boiler condensation and the washing machine waste.

Whatever you use, you need a trap. Traps are designed not to be "sucked out" /syphoned out. Just use what's most convenient fory our particular layout.

Reply to
harry