simple earth checking?

Had to remove a socket to do a spot of tiling, and found that the earth wire to a spur socket was not properly connected, probably due to 3 sets of cables in the box. After tiling I reconnected the earth. Now I would like to check that the earth has in fact stayed connected. Is there a simple way to do this for a non-knowledgeable diyer who has a £5.00 Maplins meter?

TIA

Reply to
michael cane

-- Olav Marjasoo Overlooking the Clyde, West Coast of Scotland

Reply to
Olav Marjasoo

IMHO, this does nothing a DVM won't, although it's quicker.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Before the days that earth loop resistance meters were common, and things were protected by re-wirable fuses, I used to put a short from line to earth then switch on. If it blew the fuse, the earth was ok.

But there are hazards with this approach, so I'm not recommending it today.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Dave Plowman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk:

Given that you not only need low resistance, but the ability to take full fault current, isn't it safer to do this than trust to an ohmeter?

If it blows a 13A fuse in a sshort circuit, surely thats an indication there's a "prarper" earth.

mike r

Reply to
Mike Ring

Agreed, and to test it better than that would need serious test gear. =

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Oh, I used to use a plug with no fuse, and expect the 30 amp ring fuse to blow.;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman