Silicone Sealent. Is it all much the same?

Can I use kitchen / bathroom sealant for sealing round the internal side of a PVC external door? I have several tubes of this left over so would save me trip.

Thanks

Reply to
No Thanks

No problem.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

In article , No Thanks writes

Yes but silicone won't take paint. If you ever want to paint right up to the pvc then use acrylic frame sealant.

Reply to
fred

Thanks guys for the advice. I've also got several tubes of decorators caulk. I suppose I could use that if I wanted to paint right up.

Cheers.

Reply to
No Thanks

In article , No Thanks writes

Caulk is less flexible than either silicone or acrylic frame sealant so could well open up in this sort of situation. Think of silicone & other frame sealants as gourmet sausages and caulk as 's sawdust filled bargain cheapies.

ps: pls don't actually use sausages to fill the gap

Reply to
fred

It's recommended that the depth of silicone sealant does not exceed half the width, so he'd have to put something under it anyway. If the depth is much more, the sealer will have very little "give" in it.

Reply to
Chris Bacon