silicone on silicone

Can you apply 2 layers of silicone, one on top of the other? I am thinking as in like gloss paint as long as the second coat is within 24 hours then its ok. Reason.. I have quite a large gap I am sealing and the first layer would be mostly to fill the gap, the second layer would be to put a neat profile on it. It would be too messy/sticky/awkward to do in one go (well for me anyway)

thanks

Reply to
SS

Yes - I've done this several times.

To be sure, use the first layer to deep fill the gap, but only halfway up by depth.

This allows the second layer to still have "sides" to hold on to. If the two layers don't bond well, it does not really matter - but IME silicone does seem to stick to silicone OK.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You buy a cover strip from a rack in any DIY shop or timber yard. If it is a very large strip maybe a pice of molding such as 5 inch soffit board etc.

Then all you need is a mastic backing to fix it.

Putting multiple layers of filler on anything makes a really crappy job look even worse.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

+1 No problem, ever, IMHO.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

So do the sort of strips you refer to. They were used to hide all sorts of cowboy techniques by the window installers engaged by the previous owner of my house.

All the bodges are now removed and the gaps filled correctly.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

So do the sort of strips you refer to. They were used to hide all sorts of cowboy techniques by the window installers engaged by the previous owner of my house.

All the bodges are now removed and the gaps filled correctly.

MBQ Thanks for the replies, question answered.

Reply to
SS

Is there anything that silicone doesn't stick to?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Cling film.

Reply to
dennis

Thank Dog!

Reply to
Gib Bogle

The rubber donuts that seal between the WC cistern and pan.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Cover strips are bodges? Well now I have learned something worth knowing.

Thanks for that. I will be sure to tell everyone on site.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer