Shower selection?

Need to choose new shower system for bathroom and know very little about the pros and cons of each. Not really interested in additional pumps as our existing shower is powerful enough so currently contemplating a mixer shower. For reasons that are too complex and boring to go into, if we go for this option will most likely have the pipes running down the wall as opposed to set into the wall.

However, am now looking at the mixer tap option with thermostat as this would save exposed pipework but am not aware of any cons to this approach.

Anyone who has the knowledge and time to advise, would be much appreciated

Ta - Bear

Reply to
nonymouse

Depends on what your existing system is: what sort of boiler do you have; is the shower fed from a hot water cylinder / cold tank in the loft, or direct from the mains etc etc...? You'll get better advice with more details.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thank you. I'm a bit of a muppet when it comes to home water systems. We have a boiler (not combi I don't think) which heats and pumps water around the radiators and to the taps. There is a storage tank also with a thermostat on the side - this is located on the floor above the boiler. On the floor above the storage tank are two header tanks - one slightly smaller than the other. As far as I am aware it is a gravity fed system but beyond that am not sure how it all works. We get great pressure in the shower and its not electric or pumped. The only pump I've managed to locate is by the storage tank - presumably to pump hot water around the radiators. I'm worried that if I go for a bath tap assembly with a thermostatic mixer attached for the shower, the pressure will drop.

Thank you for your time anyway - if I can't get anywhere I will try and get some more info and repost

Reply to
nonymouse

What's your existing shower then (given that's adequate)?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Existing shower is a Hydraflo V52 (I thinks its made by Mira but can't find a manufacturer on it anywhere). This feeds of the pipes that run to the bath taps - no other trickery involved. As far as I'm aware a tap/mixer shower does the same thing but without protruding/additional pipework but need to make sure that such a decision will not affect pressure through the shower head. Ta

Reply to
nonymouse

In that case (together with the info in your previous posts) I can't see any reason why a thermostatic mixer valve/bath tap shouldn't be perfectly OK, if your current arrangement works fine.

Just ensure that whatever you buy is intended for use with an vented system, rather than an unvented / high pressure one.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Cheers Dave