Shower/faucet combo

I have got a spilt shower hose on my shower/faucet combo on my bath and I have no idea how to change the hose.

I thought I could just buy a standard hose replacement, which I have, but I cannot remove the hose from the base.

I have taken 2 pics

for the pic size. May be easier to save and view as fullscreen.

The bit just before the hose is solid (I thought I could just twist it off but it seems to be connected to the "wrench grip" below it. Obviously the bit below the "wrench grip" is the toggle for shower or faucets...

Any ideas how to get this thing off?

Cheers...

Craig

-- The Zero ST

Reply to
Craig Coope

You use the term faucet from which I assume you are in the USA? In all the ones I've seen in the UK the conical part above the 'wrench grip' unscrews. Have a look at the enlarged picture here

have become stuck by limescale, try some brute force - it's broken already :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Nah...I started the post thinking it was just a DIY group (not UK) but then realised it was actually uk.diy after I posted....my bad...I'm English...

Well I hope that you are right but I have done my hand in trying to get it off!

and yes that is what my replacement standard hose looks like which is why I though it was all the same...

Maybe I'll bash it with a hammer :oD

I'll have another go...

-- The Zero ST

Reply to
Craig Coope

Ok well on further inspection I am certain that the bit that is supposed to unscrew is part of the wrench grip bit...I can't seen any gap under it and it is made of solid metal (feels very unlike the plastic metal effect other end that connects to the shower head)

Now I'm stumped and with a sore hand...

-- The Zero ST

Reply to
Craig Coope

Use a thin adjustable spanner to hold what you call the "wrench grip" steady. Normal adjustables are usually too thick to fit the nut, I use a Bahco adjustable which is about half the thickness of the cheap Chinese offerings. I don't know if you can get Bahco in the US, otherwise try whatever comes to hand.

The aim is to steady that part of the fitting so that it doesn't move.

Then you unscrew the conical part. This can be difficult, but you're going to throw this away since the new tube will come with a similar fitting. Since the cone is disposable, I'd consider using a pipe wrench to remove it. The jaws of the wrench will mark the chrome, but that shouldn't matter.

The replacement tube will either have a similar cone or a knurled ring, hopefully with the same thread as the old fitting.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Hehe...I know I confused people with my faucet lingo but I'm actually in the UK.

Thanks...all of this sounds more likely now so I will have a go at it this weekend...

Cheers,

Craig

-- The Zero ST

Reply to
Craig Coope

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Craig Coope saying something like:

beneath and get a pair of parrot-nose pliers on the conical bit at the end of the hose and unscrew.

One tip - check the inside bore of your new hose - a lot of them are pretty skimpy (narrow and cheap), but you can find ones with nearly the full 1/2" bore all the way through to the ends. It makes a difference to the flow rate if your outlet at the tap end isn't too much of a restriction itself.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon