shower faucet

my bathroom shower only seems to get hot when I turn the handle much further than I used to. I know that I dont have a hot water problem. is it possible i have to try and tighten the small opening on the bottom of the handle?

Reply to
john mazzarini

If it's loose, might as well tighten it

Reply to
philo

If water heater is electric, it is possible one element has failed.

Reply to
Frank

I had my *gas* h.w. heater on low setting for safety and efficiency. After 5 or 6 years, it started not providing as much hot water (rather like the OP's problem). Incrementing the setting to a higher temperature made everyone happy... Even though I have a water purifier, I suspect that the issue, at least in my case, is related to calcium buildup.

Reply to
Bill

I had a similar problem. It was cooler at the same spot I position the handle. I discovered the wife reduced the temp on the water heater. Damn woman.

Reply to
Meanie

Just remembered something.

After many years of use I had to turn the heat setting up slightly because the heater was not getting quite as hot. Might have been a build up of calcium on the inside. It only needed a slight increase and I think I still have it a bit below the recommended "normal" setting.

Reply to
philo

Now you have me thinking. I needed a new tank a few months ago as old was leaking. Water is hotter/set hotter but now wondering if the old one had not gradually decreased heat with age due to build up and we did not notice it.

Reply to
Frank

If you have a lot of calcium in your water, then this is most certainly true (unless you "flush" them periodically). I watched one being flushed once, and an "amazing" amount of calcium came out. That one did not have a water softener in front of it, as the one I have at my location now does. Good luck with your new hot water heater!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Flushing the tank should be the last thing you do before replacing it.

Reply to
redzap78

I've got well water with only a sediment filter. Water was analyzed and I felt too borderline to treat. Water is slightly acidic, pH ~6, and electric water heaters are lucky to last past 7 year warranty. I asked plumber if it were worth changing anode after a few years and he said he did not think so. I drain a couple of gallons every now and then but don't see much sediment.

Reply to
Frank