Sheeting-out prior to fitting Granite Work Tops

We will be having a new Kitchen fitted shortly and it looks like we will opt, yet again for granite works, which have worked well for us in the past. Previously we used a stonemason who sheeted out the worktops with MDF prior to fixing the granite with silicone. Whilst I understand this is what I would consider to be a "belt and braces job" is this necessary when the kitchen units do in fact have tops on the base units.
Steve
I siliconed mine straight to the cabinets - works fine.