Granite Tops on Steel City Tools

Popular Woodworking has an interesting article on the 2" thick 150lb Granite TS tops that they will be putting on their hybrid TS.

No more rust problems but I wonder what other advantages or disadvantages this will present.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote: | Popular Woodworking has an interesting article on the 2" thick | 150lb Granite TS tops that they will be putting on their hybrid TS. | | No more rust problems but I wonder what other advantages or | disadvantages this will present.

Magnetic bases of alignment tools and featherboards won't work - and anything hard striking an edge might knock chips off. It'll make moving the saws from one shop to another at least "interesting".

Morris Dovey

No drilling and tapping for things like power feeds.

Reply to
B A R R Y

"Leon" wrote

It would certainly be heavy and stable. It would complicate thing when moving it. That granite top would be much more prone to breakage and chipping than cast iron.

I would think it would be slick with a little wax on top. So sliding your stock through should go well.

And you can get a top that will match your fancy new countertops in the kitchen!

Hey Robatoy, maybe you can make some corian table saw tops with that fancy new CNC machine!!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I wonder what the noise factor would be. I have used corian for a router table top and it worked great exept it was real loud. useing granit for a jointer fence sounds interesting though.

skeez

Reply to
skeez

I'm not there yet. I had some some 'land-lady' issues. For now, the CNC waits. I need a building which will tolerate my presence. I need to own that building.

The douche-bag who owns the property who was trying to entice me to share in my glory of having a successful business just fell flat on her greedy face. Woooops... did *I* say that??

Reply to
Robatoy