Kitchen remodeling questions

My wife wants a stainless steel backsplash. I think it would look too commercial. You know, the Greasy Spoon where they grille right behind the lunch counter. Also she wants a stainless steel counter top. I never heard of such an animal and if there was one, I'd think that in no time at all, it would be scratched, dented, scraped and god knows what else. Any opinions on these ideas?

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

this is actually one of the in looks recently. will you like it in 5-10 years though?

do you have s.s. appliances? if so, how do you like cleaning them? think of doing a lot more of it. yes, it scratches. it probably won't dent if the backing is done properly.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

SWMBO wants it and *you're* asking for dissenting opinions? tsk, tsk.

Nevertheless, going where even angels fear to tread, consider the SS sinks and cooktops and what they look like in a couple of years. With proper care, they don't look too scratched, dented, or scraped. You're probably thinking of your time spent in the greasy spoon as a youth and what those countertops looked like, but then the schleppers weren't exactly careful now were they? Scratches can be polished out, the dents shouldn't happen in a household kitchen if the underlayment is sound. Can't say as I'd like the reflective glare from the counter, but that's controllable by light placement.

And, if SWMBO wants the 50's diner look, get a good thick SS.

Reply to
Grandpa Koca

SS countertops are used in commercial establishments because they are completely waterproof, durable, seamless, sanitary, functional, easy to clean, and heat resistant, and cushion the fall of dishes, etc. They are also becoming popular in homes, but nowhere near as common as granite and man-made composites. Advantages: heat resistance, durable, fairly stain resistant, easy to clean, kind to falling dishes, can have ss sink blend in completely, or even seamless molded look, with the countertop. Can look stunning with certain textures, tiles, floors, cabinets, background. Disadvantages: costly to fabricate, install skill-level has to be excellent, will indeed scratch and get small dents over time, cannot cut on it, and there is no easy way to remove the scratches. Still, some folks like the satiny/dull texture that developes over time. Get lots of other info on Google, enter phrase: stainless steel countertops disadvantages You'll get both plusses and minuses from various kitchen decorating websites.

Reply to
Roger

Does your wife get to decide what color you paint the garage floor? Or whether your new hammer should have a fiberglass or wooden handle? Does she have any input as to which nail gun, Porter Cable or Bostich you need? Do you ask her whether you should order your next set of tires on-line and mount them yourself? Ok, then...

Reply, here, when the new backsplash and counters are installed.

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

Stainless counter tops were in some Levitt built homes in the 1950's. Probably thousands of them were installed with an integral sink and some are still in service. Very practical and easy to maintain.

Would I put them in? I doubt it from an aesthetics point of view, but if you like the SS look, it can be done.

I've seen a backsplash done that way. It looked OK and fit in well with the rest of the design. I guess it comes down to what you like. Or what your wife likes. Or what keeps harmony that you both like.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The answer to that is easy. Wife makes pies. I like pies, wife gets whatever she wants in the kitchen. I get what I want in the garage. We are both happy and I get all the great pies I want.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I've seen both in the kitchen and bath magazines recently. I think a backsplash might look kind of neat if you got one with some type of texture to it. I saw one that had a quilted-type diamond pattern that looked kind of neat. Too industrial for my tastes, but if you keep the overall design of your kitchen in mind, it can work.

As for ss counters? I would skip it. Too easy to scratch, stain, mark up...not for me.

JennP.

Reply to
newfy.1

Seconded: Do not piss off the person who controls the food.

--Goedjn

Reply to
default