Shaving razors

Can anyone tell me where I can find an old fashioned Gillette style razor, the type where you open it and drop in a single blade? I have been shown and given some blades that must be about a third of the thickness of the blades and I would like to try them out. Unfortunately, I think my wife has thrown mine out, along with my shaving brush. I have never been keen on the throw away modern types and as I get older, I am turning away from an electric shaver.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Search for "safety razor" on eBay. Looks like your old razor could have been worth a few quid. Anyhow you can get new ones like 220570778635 it would appear.

Personally I use the new fangled 5 bladed Gillette Fusion. Blades cost a fortune, but apparently last forever.

Vortex5

Thanks for that, I'll take a look later.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Nothing lasts forever

Reply to
Nick

My blades last forever. I've had a beard for about 40 years.

Reply to
Matty F

You are building a very good profile of yourself here :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

They do last one hell of a long time between blade changes - maybe three weeks. Often even longer. But very expensive. I bought four packs of the promo world cups ones. The stupid horn and flag went in the bin, but I then had 4 blades for a fiver, four times over. They are actually non-power ones, but I use them on my power fusion body. I've found the trick to be to use them as non-power for the first couple of shaves. After that, they perform just as well as the power ones. If you use them as power blades straight away, they seem to drag quite a bit.

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

I've looked at the power and non-power blades under a lupe and can't see anything different except the colour of the plastic (and the price) anyway there's an upgraded version out soon to make us part with our cash (no it doesn't have 7 blades, apparently thinner blades, different coating, different rubber fins)

Reply to
Andy Burns

I guess I use about a blade a month. On the occasional event I forget to pack my razor, and have to use a hotel disposable I am reminded just how good the Fusion razors are. Never tried power though. How long does the battery last?

Reply to
Vortex5

Supposedly $0.08 each to produce

4-6 months I suppose.
Reply to
Andy Burns

Diamonds?

Reply to
Vortex5

Three weeks is a hell of a long time? I get more than that from the Bic disposables I use. The Bic disposable razor is an exceptionally fine piece of design and manufacture. I didn't really appreciate how good it is until I found myself in need of a razor when in New Mexico recently (I'd left my Bic behind in the previous motel). A trip to the nearby supermarket got me a pack of US-made disposables. They were complete crap. The blade became too blunt to use halfway through the first shave. Mind you, they were REALLY cheap. They cost next to nothing, and were worth every penny, as my Dad would have said.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I'd say that about Bic disposables when I was forced by a similar situation to use one. B-) I use Gillete GII's.

The Bic I used may have been a single blade one and two blades does make a difference. I can't see any advantage of more blades, other than boosting the makers profits. Electric is hopeless.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I always use single-blade, and one lasts a month or so. Mind you, I shave in the shower, which means the hair is well softened.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I have found that the primary function of shaving foam is to clog multiblade razors.

By using simple soap, the blades last longer..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I must get one of those..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And of course I use ordinary soap. Wipe soap over the hairy part, a quick rub to spread it, and we're off.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I think the rest of us are talking about shaving our faces :)

Reply to
Matty F

There is a twinblade brand that has a button that when presssed, pushes a piece of plastic out between the blades, and all the soap with it.

Reply to
Matty F

;-)

I do the shower thing, too - the hair gets much softer and easier to cut, resulting in a better shave with less irritation.

Damn gilette blades piss me off - the blade seems to last, but that stupid little foam strip that they put on them wears out far too quickly (by design, I'm sure).

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson