Rawlbolt holes - treatment a good idea?

Hello

just fitted four of these into brickwork (amazingly without cracking any of the bricks like I managed to do a month ago, and amazingly getting all four to line up with where they were supposed to be), it occurs to me that maybe I should spray something into the hole before I tighten up the rawlbolt. I thought some form of silicone spray to prevent water ingress. Then I thought about some form of grease to stop the rawlbolts from seizing up should I need to remover them at some future juncture.

Please advise - or should I just press on and get them fitted and stop messing about!

Thanks

DDS

Reply to
Duncan Di Saudelli

Either aproach will decrease the grip of the Rawlbolt in the brick. If you want to be able to unscrew the bolt in the future I would dip the last 1/2" of thread in 'Copperslip' grease before screwing it in. And in future if worried about cracking the bricks consider using 'chemical anchors' ie resin squirted in the hole and a stud pressed in - wonderful stuff imo.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Wot Andrew said and for future reference these don't crack bricks and can be easily removed & reused

(first product on page). Similar with a wider range of heads, but in bigger packs
fings imo.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks Andrew, Medway - I think multi-montis will be my preferred choice - especially once someone starts doing "handy packs" with half-a-dozen each of different sizes.

I have used those chemical anchor bolts once before and yes, they were very good indeed but unfortunately my local hardware shop doesn't do them. The ones I used were a two-part epoxy where the activator lived in a glass capsule - and the resin part had a load of granite "grit" admixed into it. When you puched the anchor stud in and turned it round, it broke the cpasule and pmixed it all up. Very good.

I've gone ahead into bare brick and all is well!

Thanks once again

DDS

Reply to
Duncan Di Saudelli

its only epoxy resin, can get that anywhere.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

them. The

its only epoxy resin, can get that anywhere.

NT

The last one I got was from Builder Center (b****rs can't spell) and comprises a pair of tubes joined to a common nozzle that has swirly bits in to do the mixing. So long as you get spare nozzles, the dual tube thingy can be kept quite a while. So I now keep a tube 'on the shelf'

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson