Shared downpipe and ownership of sewer

We live in semi-detached house with an inspection chamber for the rainwater sewer at the end of the garden with two inputs and one output.

The two inputs are fed by underground pipes from the rear of our house; the first is fed by the downpipe from the garage roof and the second fed by th e downpipe from the main house roof.

The guttering from the adjoining semi connects to ours and thus also feeds into this second downpipe so, as far as ownership and responsibility are co ncerned, does this mean that the underground pipe to the inspection chamber is considered a public sewer by virtue of it serving more than one propert y? There are no underground connections from elsewhere.

The context of the question is that we are currently planning an extension to the rear of the house which will be within 3m of this underground pipe a nd therefore, if public, will require approval from the water authority and associated fees, inspections, etc.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so in case my first post was all a bit much here's a diagram:

Our property is the red one in the middle and the grey lines are the guttering and downpipes. The underground pipe of interest is the blue one, but I suppose the question is equally applicable to the pink one too given the shared garage guttering.

The proposed extension will occupy the same footprint as the existing conservatory.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I don't think the shared guttering makes this a shared sewer. From your diagram it looks to me as though the only shared part is the bit at the bottom of the garden from the black blob (inspection cover) which runs into the next door garden. So I would say the pink/blue lines are just yours. I think this is a case where its best not to trouble authority, they will only make trouble for you.

Reply to
djc

My supply company publishes this guidance:

The wording "What you're responsible for ? the pipes, gutters and drains in and around your home, including the drains from your property up to your boundary..." ... implies that it is your responsibility because it doesn't cross your property boundary.

Reply to
nemo

Storm drainage is not a sewer. So there should not be a problem.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

I am intrigued by this reasoning - can you elaborate?

Of all the literature I've read I've not seen mention of 'storm drainage', only 'surface water sewers' and 'foul sewers'. The definition of 'drain' se ems to be related to pipework that connects property to one of the aforemen tioned sewers, but that this drain is itself considered a sewer if it has m ore than one property connecting in to it.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

The two inputs are fed by underground pipes from the rear of our house; the first is fed by the downpipe from the garage roof and the second fed by the downpipe from the main house roof.

The guttering from the adjoining semi connects to ours and thus also feeds into this second downpipe so, as far as ownership and responsibility are concerned, does this mean that the underground pipe to the inspection chamber is considered a public sewer by virtue of it serving more than one property? There are no underground connections from elsewhere.

The context of the question is that we are currently planning an extension to the rear of the house which will be within 3m of this underground pipe and therefore, if public, will require approval from the water authority and associated fees, inspections, etc.

Mathew Don't tell the f****rs. The less they know the better. The whole system is set up to part you and your money. If it isn't their business, the will make it so. No useful benefit to yourself. But not a good idea to put any new building on top of an old drain anyway. New (plastic) drains are a different matter.

You will likely find that if it is a separate drain for surface water, it is not connected to the sewer. Likely goes to a local watercourse. Surface water going into sewers causes big problems.

Reply to
harryagain

I am intrigued by this reasoning - can you elaborate?

Of all the literature I've read I've not seen mention of 'storm drainage', only 'surface water sewers' and 'foul sewers'. The definition of 'drain' seems to be related to pipework that connects property to one of the aforementioned sewers, but that this drain is itself considered a sewer if it has more than one property connecting in to it.

Mathew

It is just a matter of terminology which has changed over the years/locality. Sewers/foulwater have shit/other waste in them. The other ones have rainwater only.

Every generation like to invent fancy new wards.

Reply to
harryagain

He he. Don't beat around the bush Harry! ;-)

Yeah, they're all new plastic drains here (built 2007).

What I am likely to do is to remove the section of blue pipe to the side of the extension and divert the house downpipe round to feed in to the extens ion downpipe (if that makes sense?). Then there'll be no building-over what soever and much easier access to the drains. Everyone's happy.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Mathew, I'm inclined to agree with you that the drain serves 2 properties and, that being the case, the drains are invested with the sewerage undertaker. For some pointers:

- download this document

and take a look at the definitions of adopted drains / sewers

- navigate across to your sewerage undertakers website to see what advice they give

- when you make your Building Regulations application for the extension, the first thing the LABC (or private Building Control provider) will do, is carry out their own search

Reply to
PeterL