Sealing the overflow hole in a toilet cistern

I know this sounds like a Bad Idea, but I shall explain.

I am renovating my flat with the help of eBay (99p for a brand new double-ended bath anyone?) and acquired a Porcher toilet and cistern fot GBP8.50 over the weekend. I am installing a flap-flush mechanism that has its own, built-in overflow, so I need to seal the overflow that is in the cistern already.

I can't use it as the inlet as there is already a bottom inlet. I can't actually plumb it as an overflow because the overflow on the existing toilet is *higher* than the overflow level (plus I would rather do away with it anyway).

So how can I seal it?

I don't mind the internal pipe remaining there as it will be unseen although all things being equal, I would prefer to be rid of it.

I bought a push-fit stop-end, but it is bigger than a 22mm stop end. The screw thread on the outside seems to be 25mm diameter and the pipe inside the cistern appears to be ~26mm external diameter.

Is it likely that I am mis-measuring and the pipe is in fact 25mm? If so, has anyone seen a plastic push-fit stop end in that size, because I haven't.

Or has anyone seen anything that looks like it is a blanking thing designed to stop a hole in a cistern?

Or has anyone seen a stop-end for a 25mm screw-thread fitting?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Pete

Reply to
Peter Riocreux

In article , Peter Riocreux writes

You can get mushroom-shaped plastic plugs for this from B&Q etc. A plastic nut goes on the back. It's sealed with a rubber washer but I put some silicone on mine as well, just in case.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell