Sealing corrugated pipe onto a round nipple

I'm using some of this hose:

for a bilge pump on my boat. The name kind of implies it would be suitable, don't you think? However, despite the pump being one of the most common in the country, the hose won't seal onto it because the jubilee clip only pushes down on the spiral reinforcement and water is able to track down along the material in between. I don't want to change the hose because other than this problem it's quite suitable, and the other end is already installed in a difficult-to-access location.

I've tried packing the gap between the spirals with cord so that the jubilee clip would be pressing evenly everywhere, but it didn't make much difference. I've thought about adding some kind of sealant to the joint but it seems like it would be pushed off the nipple ahead of the hose when I slide it on.

The pump is over what will become my bunk once I get time to build it, so it needs to be drip-free. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

A wire hose clip would probably do the job. Like this but you might get one at a good car spares shop:

a scrap yard if you've got one near you.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

How about cable ties in the valleys?

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
marpate1

hmm, ignore this ... as it looks like the hose is really spiralled and not ridged.

To be honest I would think that the hose is the wrong internal diameter as it should be that this hose can be expanded by twisting against the spiral and should then already be a tight fit on the pump.

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
marpate1

How abouts stripping the coil out of a short length of hose and laying this in the valleys and clamping with a jubilee?

Reply to
marpate1

how about "wiping" silicone to fill the internal "valleys" of the spiral (as far as necess to suit the pump), leave to cure then jubilee clip? assuming its the output of the pump this is connected to what would be the issue with "plenty" of silicone?

cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

Hi Pete

Does it actually matter that it drips?

You are emptying an amount of bilge water out and any that leaks simply returns to the bilge to be pumped later anyway doesn't it? Or is the pump away from the bilge in which case I can't help ;-)

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Yes! :-)

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

probably still be a gap.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

That's right.

Well, it does need to be twisted open to get it onto the nipple, so it's a fairly tight fit, but not tight enough in the valleys to seal. I took a piece of the same hose off a bronze nipple (the problem one is plastic) and could see a thin spiral mark of discolouration where the water had been seeping through.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

That's the idea I was aiming for with the cord. The problem is that you're still left with a spiral channel between the old reinforcement and the new.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

The inside of the pipe is basically smooth when it's not connected. There aren't valleys as such, just areas not under pressure from the clip, through which a tiny trickle of water can leak and then drip.

It's connected to both sides, but I'm trying to fix the problem just on the output until I find something that works. The reason I don't want to gob silicone over the outside is simply that it rarely works - silicone needs to be in between two surfaces to seal them. I don't think I can achieve that here because the pipe is a pretty tight fit and will probably wipe it all off as the pipe goes on.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

I didn't notice that it was spiral form but on that basis googling 'clips for spiral hose' produced this:

don't think I've ever seen this type of clip as I've only ever seen normal corrugated hose as cooling system hose.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

JimK

email to either suggest where I can buy some or sort out a small order.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

email to either suggest where I can buy some or sort out a small order.

(same as earlier reply to JimK :-) )

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon