sealing a kitchen sink

I have a slight leak under my kitchen sink.

Having taken a closer look* I have come to the conclusion that the seal between the sink rim and the work surface is the cause.

The sink is stainless seal and the worktop is stone of some variety (not sure what but then I am hardly a geologist).

So I am wondering should I just tighten the undersink bolts, or should I release the sink and put some sealant in before I tighten it up?

Many thanks.

Paul

  • where closer look can be defined as tipping a jug of water everywhere except in the actual sink where I intended it to go.
Reply to
P.A.Osborne

Use silicone, tighten it almost up, then let it set, tighten fully, and use a scalpel to cut a neat edge on the gasket so formed

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep. And clean and dry the interfaces thoroughly before you start - I finish with meths to ensure clean and grease-free.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks for the guidance. Sounds fairly sane and not too problematical to do.

Now to wait for the thread to twist about how resealing the sink can lead to cat herding in Khazakstan.

:-)

Paul

Reply to
P.A.Osborne