Leak under kitchen sink

Hi,

We discovered a small leak under the kitchen sink (one of the valves needed to be tightened). We've fixed the leak, but the water had moistened the cabinet bottom somewhat.

We've now dried all that up, and we cut a hole in the cabinet bottom, and dried the area under that, cleaned it, and applied diluted Clorox bleach several times.

What I'm wondering about is that that cabinet area under the sink still smells like mildew. All of it, including the floor under the cabinet bottom feels dry to the touch.

My wife feels like we should keep the cabinet doors closed, but I've read that we should leave the doors open to get some air circulation under there. I'm also thinking that we should keep some of the windows (just above the sink area) open a bit to get more air.

What's the best way to get rid of this smell?

Thanks, Jim

P.S. We have someone coming in to see if they think that we need to do any replacements, but assuming that that is not the case, I'm wondering how we get to removing the odor....

Reply to
Ohaya

We've lived through similar problems more than once. You don't say what materials are involved, but wood and wood composites can hold a lot of water for a long time. Air circulation usually solves the problem over time. If you have a fan that can help in the early stages. Leaving the doors open is a help too. Closing the doors traps a volume of air whichy picks up water more and more slowly as it eventually reaches its capacity for holding moisture. Opening the cabinet doors allows the moisture in the air to be distributed through the volume of the room.

TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

Some areas are still moist thats why you smell mold, it could be in the floor. Spraying bleach may get it to areas you missed. then let it dry it may take a few weeks fo the smel to go away

Reply to
m Ransley

Empty out the cabinet, open the doors (or remove them), and run a fan for a week blowing into the cabinet. A small heater is even better if you practice safety precautions. Replace any wood that has rotted. Placing a bowl of vinegar in the cabinet will temporarily remove odor (as will Fabreez), but you need to get the source of the problem.

Reply to
Phisherman

Tom,

Thanks. The cabinet/cabinet bottom material was typical, composite with veneer. The flooring under the cabinet bottom is plywood. We've now enlarged the hole in the cabinet bottom so that we can completely clean under there.

The really sad part of all of this is apparently she had noticed this leak, about 2 weeks ago, and didn't mention it to me because she "didn't want to worry me" :)... Simply tightening the valve nut stopped the leak...

Reply to
Ohaya

A low power hair dryer or set on low heat and monitored can be a help to get air circulating. Damp plus no circulation can equal dry rot! If the moisture has got into composite wood materail such as a strand board floor or the cabinet itself? it may take a while to dry out! Makes the point too that with almost all home repair it's best to get at or at least temporarily alleviate the problem; for example a small bowl or empty can placed under the drip and emptied every couple of days? I was once involved with a public housing authority. Some homes had conscientous occupants who would either fix small items temporarily or would phone the maintenance office at first opportunity. Their homes were always in the best shape!

Reply to
Terry

Terry,

At this point, we've just about torn out the cabinet bottom (not the flooring), so I think all that is gone now.

Re. your other comment, you may find this funny. Apparently my wife had noticed the leak at least 2 weeks ago, and for some reason she decided not to tell me about it. I think that she knows I worry about these things, and was trying to find somebody to fix it, even though all it took for the leak was tightening the valve :(.

Not sure what to do about that one :)!!!

Reply to
Ohaya