SDS drill bits

I've ordered my new SDS drill (Metabo KHE 2444 for £100 from eBay), but b efore it will make any holes I'm going to need at least one bit.

There's a wide range of price points on these. Is it still a case of "you get what you pay for", or is most of the mark-up on the bits just markettin g?

Reply to
Martin Bonner

In message , Martin Bonner writes

I'm sure that others, much more qualified than me, will be along shortly to give you more accurate advice, but. I use SDS day in day out at work and tend to buy mainly Wickes own brand, not very often either. They seem as good as anyone's. I've certainly bought a few very cheap ones when caught short and had little success with them, in fact the DeWalt branded ones that came with one of the drills didn't last very long at all.

Reply to
Bill

It's one of those rare things where I've not found much difference. Nothing like the difference in other sorts of drill bits. I suppose it's because they have to be made to a given strength to work at all. Lidl etc ones have been fine here - but since you'll want them now I'd just get Toolstation's cheapest.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mine came with some freebie makita ones in smallish sizes, over the years I've picked up a set of 500mm(longer?) ones from Lidaldi when they were on special, and a few other specific sizes as an when required from Toolstation and Wickes, can't say I've ever noticed any difference between them.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I agree with others - not a lot of difference. I did buy a box set of Makita long bits (through wall length) and happy that I did - not expensive at the time I bought them. Otherwise I have a variety of cheap bits that have accumulated over the years from various sources. As a very limited user, my experience has been that they are uniformly at least adequate if not "good" or "excellent".

If buying a chisel but then it might be worth getting one made of decent material.

Reply to
polygonum

Really cheap ones (like them off the market) are dangerous because the tip can break, then the thing snags and breaks your wrist if you aren't careful.

The Black and Decker factory shops often have real bargains in SDS bits.

Don't forget that with SDS hammer you don't push; just let the drill find its way through the masonry.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

All the bit I've used on a regular basis have been purchased cheaply and they seem to have lasted well.

Don't forget your tube of high temperature grease to store with the drill - grease the bit if the drill that goes in the chuck.

Reply to
alan

Martin Bonner submitted this idea :

I've used the best and the worst - never really found much difference in action or longevity, nor even had one needing replacement.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I do give mine a squirt of grease (nothing fancy, I think it was bike grease that came with a nice fine-nozzled gun) recently bought an SDS scutch chisel (not used in anger yet) they recommend greasing it generously as it can reach 200°C

Reply to
Andy Burns

Its the shank, where it fits into the socket that you are supposed to grease - but I suppose you knew that.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

Yup, I have oen that bent a bit once, but other than that all mine,w hich are generally cheapish ones have been fine

Reply to
chris French

Excellent! (And thanks to everyone else who replied.)

I won't be doing this for a couple of months, so I can keep an eye on Lidl/Aldi, and then buy from Wickes/Toom when I need to.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

For longer ones (600mm & 1m) add CPC to the list, they do sets of 3 regularly under a tenner (on offer).

Reply to
fred

There's a wide range of price points on these. Is it still a case of "you get what you pay for", or is most of the mark-up on the bits just marketting?

Assuming you mean masonry drills. It doesn'tseem to matter how blunt they get, the power of the drill is such, it smashes through anyway. What does upset things is the tip of the drill wears on the sides so you get undersized holes. Some things it matters, others not. I haven't found much differences between the makes.

Chisels, the cheap ones go blunt quicker

Reply to
harryagain

This is the set I bought (though a bit less expensive at the time, I feel):

Nice metal case that has lasted a number of years without obvious damage. The plastic cases are dreadful. Other sources may be cheaper.

Reply to
polygonum

Call that long :-?

Actually, I won't take this too far as the last time I mentioned the thickness of the walls I was drilling through I got trumped in zero seconds flat.

Reply to
fred

Nah! Not long, just long-enough for most of my purposes.

Reply to
polygonum

Monday at Lidl - SDS drill, SDS bits (two different sets) and cross cut mitre saw on Monday 12th May.

And 230mmm angle grinder. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Now I hate you.

There's an Aldi about 100 yards from my house (200 once I've walked round the road), but the nearest Lidl is miles away :-((

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Aldi is about the only useful shop we *don't* have - now that ToolStation has arrived to takes its place near Screwfix, Axminster, not far from Lidl, ...

Oh! And Waitrose. Miles away. :-(

Reply to
polygonum