Screwfix opening all over

Since I discovered Andrews in Spalding for timber, I don't go anywhere else. Plus I get an over-60s 10% discount card.

MM

Reply to
MM

Virtually everything is behind the counter. But then I have only been there once and other branches may differ.

It's not worth me using them as I have an account at an electrical wholesalers that works out cheaper for most things.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Costs nothing to pick up from Tesco and I decide when to go. That seems like the perfect arrangement to me. That said, half the fittings are missing, so nothing's perfect!

Reply to
stuart noble

I find Toolstation much better - free delivery next day on anything over £10.

It's a bit like a visit to Argos. A few bits on show, mainly stuff that's on offer. 90% in the warehouse.

They will let you look at stuff before you decide.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Pretty crap, then.

MM

Reply to
MM

For me, I mean. I live only a few miles away. But I'm sure there are equivalent family-run stores like Andrews elsewhere. One isn't beholden to the big boys. I recently did a comparison of timber prices at B&Q and was shocked by the high prices.

MM

Reply to
MM

In article , MM scribeth thus

Well in Cambridge we have Travis Perkins, Ridgeons North and Sarff and jewsons and I think theres another can't remember now. Plus the sheds Homebase and B&Q and another couple of odd ones.

No smaller family run ones tho....

Reply to
tony sayer

I've not got one of those either. The nearest is in Rotherham.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I use ours (Huntingdon) fairly often, mostly cos it's convenient being open later than BM's/wholesalers etc. it's cheaper than the DIY sheds (which are small anyway) I can check stock or order it it in for the next day.

Yeah I can order for delivery form them or Toolstation or whatever, but that isn't always convenient.

Reply to
chris French

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Already have Toolstation? If so look within a mile radius of it.

First rumblings I heard about the a Carlisle one was when I was in the Lancaster branch. That was a good six months before it actually opened. But TBH I prefer Toolstation to Screwfix, I've never been in the Carlisle Screwfix.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How odd. Today was my second visit to Screwfix but I was in Doncaster. I asked the staff where the Barnsley branch was going to be and he said "It's not public knowledge that we are opening a branch there, how do you know?"

Reply to
ARWadsworth