Screwfix in Reading

Not sure if anyone else has posted this (searched google groups) but Screwfix are opening a trade counter in Reading next w/e.

Reply to
Grumps

There's one opening on Ascot drive in Derby too.

Reply to
Stanley

Noticed that too. Wonder if they'll have the full range of stock?

If they do coffee maybe we could have our next uk.d-i-y social down there? ;-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Fantastic! Do you know where?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

8A Stadium Ind Est RG30 6ER Jct of Oxford Rd and Portman Rd.
Reply to
Grumps

"Everything for the trade" "13,000+ products in stock". So I guess that's many thousands of screws and a few bits that you don't need. They have a call and collect service.

Opening w/e they're offering "snacks".

Reply to
Grumps

Stadium industrial estate, off Oxford Rd/Portman Rd

Reply to
John Stumbles

Bugger. That's nearer my mum's house. I was hoping for somewhere off the Basingstoke Rd. There's no pleasing some people!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I know they're calling it a 'trade counter' but is it really for trade only, or is it open to the public?

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Annetts

Their flyer says "trade & public welcome".

Reply to
Grumps

Cheers. That's good, it's not too far from my GF's in that case.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Annetts

You do realise where it is, don't you...

Reply to
Andy Hall

In fact quicker and cheaper to order on line and no need to barricade the car.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Trade counters are a form of marketing. There are very few who won't take your money quite happily as long as you don't mind the slow service, sharp intake of breath and friendly demeanour of the assistants

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's not that bad down there. It's not like it is off Waylen St.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Howdens are one example. Unfortunately, I was accompanied by my wife, so didn't look entirely convincing. My mother has the same effect on Trade Counters. She just can't quiet and says incriminating things to the staff. I think I'll have to keep them locked in the car in future!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

True, and I suppose one can avoid going through Whitley.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I don't think they are calling it a trade counter: anyway there's a fscking great poster at LiDL (down the road from it) aimed at non-trade customers

Reply to
John Stumbles

"As part of our opening celebrations, we?re offering 10% off your first order and a FREE t-shirt if you spend over £40! Plus, there?ll be FREE hot snacks, and a prize draw to win Screwfix Vouchers to the value of £100!"

10% off .... hmmm, shopping list time :-)
Reply to
John Stumbles

Does anybody know if there is going to be a nationwide rollout of Screwfix trade counters. I have asked on the freephone number but the operator didn't know. I am just wondering if any SF employees lurk on this site and could let us in on any trade (counter) secrets. I live in Leeds and would love there to be a local one to patronise. How many times have we made up an order to get the free delivery and no sooner have you pressed the 'Submit Order' button you remember something that cost a £1 or so and have to put it on your list for next time ;-)

Cheers

John

Reply to
John