Screed help

I had a screed floor laid to a thickness of approx 65 mm in November

2006. It is my intention to have a solid wooden floor laid over the top of the screed but the two flooring contractors i have spoken to so far say that the screed is not stong enough and they cannot glue a wooden floor to it without it lifting The problem is that the screed is crumbling around the edges up to a depth of 10mm in places. In the middle of the floor the screed is starting to form pot holes. If you rub your foot on the floor the surface of the screed crumbles and breaks up. What can i do? Do i need to get the builders back to dig up the entire floor and re lay it or can it be treated in some way to strengthen it?

Regards Jon

Reply to
red.fox

I had a screed floor laid to a thickness of approx 65 mm in November

2006. It is my intention to have a solid wooden floor laid over the top of the screed but the two flooring contractors i have spoken to so far say that the screed is not stong enough and they cannot glue a wooden floor to it without it lifting The problem is that the screed is crumbling around the edges up to a depth of 10mm in places. In the middle of the floor the screed is starting to form pot holes. If you rub your foot on the floor the surface of the screed crumbles and breaks up. What can i do? Do i need to get the builders back to dig up the entire floor and re lay it or can it be treated in some way to strengthen it?

Regards Jon

Reply to
red.fox

Get the builders back to relay it, a proper screed should last decades before it starts to show any signs of degradation.

Reply to
Phil L