Scrap value of old cooker

I recently bought a new oven from Argos which is to be delivered on the weekend and I paid about £8 for them to take away and recycle our old cooker.

Tonight I noticed a wanted ad on our local Freecycle website for an electric cooker. I replied and they are collecting it tomorrow - for free.

It got me thinking.

What is the 'weigh in' price at the scrappers for old cookers, which are very heavy and almost 100 per cent metal, and does this outweigh what Argos are charging me for recycling. If the 'weigh in' price is greater that the price I am paying to have the cooker recycled, then it would appear to be a nice little earner for Argos.

It also got me wondering if the ad on Freecycle was from a person who genuinely needed an electric cooker or some pikeys collecting scrap metal.

Reply to
Wesley

I recently weighed in 160kg of scrap steel and cast iron - worth about £17.

So for ferrous stuff - pennies per kilo. Copper/brass on the other hand, several quid a kilo.

Reply to
John Rumm

Lets assume my cooker weighs about 100kg. Argos has to send their lorry to my address (and lots of others) during the day and return empty. Why not make up for this by loading up with scrap metal, charging the punters for the service, and making more money from the scrap value?

Reply to
Wesley

Seems a bit excessive for a cooker...

Indeed - nothing to lose from their point of view - they get paid twice, once to collect it, and again when disposing. Having said that, there are costs of keeping a vehicle on the road each year, and for other stuff like waste transfer licenses, insurance etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

They probably make up for it even more by charging for delivery.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Probably £5-£10. So hardly worth driving to the nearest scrap yard.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

What sort of insulation do these cookers have in them?

Reply to
GB

No the pikeys would get your details then sneak around after dark and take it away along with any wire or plumbing they can get their hands on.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Our local freecycle is a peculiar thing. I have had people ring up within thirty seconds of me putting stuff on there, I think there are lots of pikeys constantly monitoring it. They usually turn up in a transit size van.

But absolutely any bit of shit, someone will want it and come and take it away. Not all have been pikeys.

Reply to
harry

For an ordinary 500/600 mm bog standard gas/electric one yes. They are mostly a reasonable one person handle so not much more than 30kg.

If it's an aga, it's a *very* small aga at 100kg...

As for scrap value not a lot, unless you have a scrappy next door you'll spend more in fuel than you'll get for it.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , at

01:17:16 on Wed, 21 Nov 2012, harry remarked:

It failed to shift my almost new spare[1] microwave (about £50 worth) so it's on eBay at 99p now. No bids.

[1] Bought it to use while doing building work, before the rest of my effects arrived.
Reply to
Roland Perry

Scrap steel is worth anything up to £150 per ton. Less the hassle and cost of separating the steel from all the other components of the cooker.

I would have thought the average electric cooker is 30-50kg, so at most has a direct scrap value of £5!!

Reply to
Fredxx

We have people ask for the moon on the stick. Oh wait, no that was me after a spate of really silly requests for things like cars and other expensive stuff.

You can shift almost anything. I tried to get rid of a load of jars and weeks later had replies after they've all gone.

Reply to
mogga

Can be worth selling the grill-pan, shelves etc separately as spares.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ur nasty I'm a gypsy we ain't all bad Iv got arga to sell for srcape and come across you bad mouthing my people I hope they put a curse on real bad one and there true and iv seen them worck . U are a wicked

Reply to
muddyfront1

My drive needs re-doing. You wouldn't happen to be doing a job up the road and got some left over tarmac?

mark

Reply to
mark

Ooer missus. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

What you need is some lucky heather. Do you know anyone who sells it?

Reply to
Bob Henson

What he needs is a course on written English by the look of it, but to set the record straight. There are Gypsies, who always clear up after themselves and are no problem at all, and there are travellers who seem to think everyone is a mug and everywhere is a rubbish tip.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Maybe - but your writing is!

Curse? I've already endured a curse reading that drivel.

Reply to
Tim Watts