SBR - what *can* it do...

Hi Folks,

OK - not so pleased. Just had another look at the floor - builders asked for latex and got fobbed of with "Cempolay" (I was wrong, I thought they got sold "Cempolatex 1 part".). Sigh. Wish I'd known what I do now 4 weeks ago...

Cempolay is basic cement-y levelling compound. Nothing special. That's actually 20 quid on Travis's website, so it seems Mr Builder got charged the same as I could get with a TP Cash card. Proper 2 part would be 29 quid - hardly breaking the bank.

Reply to
Tim S

Might be best done through a tube if possible, so that it fills up from the bottom.

Reply to
PeterC

PeterC coughed up some electrons that declared:

Funnily enough I was thinking something like that - with plastic funnels :) Poke them in, fill up and have coffee.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Very penetrating. You might be pouring for a long time :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Stuart Noble coughed up some electrons that declared:

Thanks Stuart,

Excellent - that's what I want, at least to a degree - should mean it will soak in to the surface effectively too.

I suppose I can apply, wait for it to set, then apply again.

Am I right concerning the other general properties - like being waterproof and being a good binding agent?

All the sheets I can find relate to it's use as an admix, not a builder's bodging liquid.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

SBR is *ONLY* used as an admix for sand/cement screed.

-
Reply to
Mark

Mark coughed up some electrons that declared:

Thanks Mark.

Are there any other liquid products I could look at for stabilising slightly damp crap, including the surface of friable concrete prior to laying a sand/cement/SBR screed?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

It's clear and slightly rubbery ( I can tell that from runs on the container), so of limited use on its own I'd imagine. Very thin compared to pva, but that doesn't mean it isn't a high solids emulsion. Suck it a and see I guess. Keep it off your hands, it penetrates skin pretty well too.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Both a SBR sand/cement screed or a Latex screed should if mixed and applied properly be ok. Fwiw my preference has always been an SBR screed.

-
Reply to
Mark

Use it for whatever you like if you know its properties. I'm sure there was a time when pva was only used as an adhesive.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Same thing surely. SBR is latex

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Hate to say 'I told you so', but without actually saying those words, I can't think of a way of finishing this sentence :-p

It would have been cheaper and quicker to take the lot up, add insulation, then membrane and concrete, but money has now been been spent, and no matter what you do now, I fear you are throwing good money after bad.

Reply to
Phil L

cement & water slurry. It stabilises damp soil well, sand, stones, etc.

not sure about that - wouldnt be surprised if cement slurry worked though.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Phil L coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'm sure you're right Phil. But I estimated doing that the other day, based on amount of concrete, skip, screed and man-days. It was looking like over

2k-2.5k in labour and materials - unfortunately which ever way you look at it, I simply don't have the budget to spend that on one room's floor given all the other stuff that *must* be fixed. 2k might seem high but I was quoted 400-450 to skim plaster the walls of the same room and that's one man + lad for 2 days - so I don't think my estimate's far off.

Sometimes the most correct solution just isn't feasible.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com coughed up some electrons that declared:

That's a good idea. SBR and cement can be mixed as a primer for screed (from an application sheet).

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Mark coughed up some electrons that declared:

Ta

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Stuart Noble coughed up some electrons that declared:

That's the nub of my query: what are it's properties?

Does a bit of it by itself set solid like PVA? PVA has limited gap filling properties so it clearly makes a good binding agent. Ordinarily I'd just pour PVA into dodgey cracks and holes, but knowing it will be exposed to continuous damp, I've seen warnings on this group that it will dissolve into squidgey gunk.

Unfortunatly SBR isn't the sort of stuff I can get 100ml from B&Q to fiddle with, I'll have to bite the bullet and get 5l, or 25l from the builders yard.

I was hoping that someone had played with it enough to give me a lead, but if it comes to it, I'll get 5l and try some stuff.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Mark coughed up some electrons that declared:

Thanks Mark.

OK - do you don't slosh diluted SBR all over the substrate first, like you would with PVA?

I was also looking for a liquid chemical that could be liberally poured through holes and cracks to lock up any friable material underneath.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Yes, except it's softer, so you don't want a film of it building up on the surface. Not much chance of that happening due to the low viscosity (it has the consistency of milk), but it would eventually I suppose.

PVA has limited gap filling

It comes in handy where you need a thin layer of mortar that would normally crack, repairing steps, sills etc. IIRC Feb 5L was about £25 last time I bought some.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Stuart Noble coughed up some electrons that declared:

OK - chances are then, that it would bind up the odd bit of loose crap under the floor surface if I pour it through a couple of holes. I'll try some - nothing to lose.

I've got bits of patch repairing to do that's too thick for latex screed + I need to stick a 15-20mm screed down in a couple of small rooms - sounds ideal.

Thanks Stuart!

Cheers

Tim

Reply to