Satellite Kit

Am thoroughly sick of paying for Virgin television - took a sledge hammer to even get an HD box, and as a Tivo-based box seems only available for more expensive packages, we can't even record while watching something else. We have iPlayer on Virgin, on our television, and via computers (out to via HDMI to the television), so have have catch-up but some things we want more flexibility about watching.

We could go Freeview but in our precise location Crystal Palace is a long way away and the signal seems to get affected by trees. And our local option has limited channels and seems set up to go over our heads. (Some very recent local aerials are gigantic - so I think the issues still apply even after switch off.)

So Freesat beckons. I know absolutely nothing about selecting kit and setting it up. We do have a decent, modern TV with loads of HDMI, etc. And today I noticed that Screwfix are (*again) flogging a very inexpensive kit:

HD Complete Satellite Kit - Product Code: 98603 £39.99.

neighbours have dishes and appear to be fine getting a signal with what I think are mostly small Sky dishes - we have a near-identical location so imagine that side will be easy enough. (Have downloaded an iPad satellite set up application.)

Should I take a punt with the Screwfix kit? The reviews seem OK on average but there are quite a few who had to get replacements or refunds. (Have not done a proper analysis but initial impression is a lot of those are from 2011.)

Would I be better off paying a bit more to get something better? Or go with this and expect to upgrade the receiver as and when I find one I fancy more? (I know - highly subjective - how can anyone else really answer that?)

Any suggestions?

Reply to
polygonum

>> Our neighbours have dishes and appear to be fine getting a signal with

I got mine from Satgear, good quality and helpful company. Don't fail to install multiple LNBs, I use a quad arrangement. The multiple LNBs are essential if you wish to record one channel while watching another, or record 2 at once. Life being as it is there will be no worthwhile programs one night then the next night 2 at the same time.

Reply to
Broadback

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, "polygonum" writ:

GBP16.65. I've got one of these and it's excellent.

Reply to
Percy

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, "Percy" writ:

Sorry, somehow lost the rest of my post.

Then buy the Freesat receiver of your choice. The kit you are looking at seems to be a generic Free To Air receiver. A proper Freesat receiver will give you the Freesat EPG and also the other FTA channels in most cases.

Reply to
Percy

> Our neighbours have dishes and appear to be fine getting a signal with

Make sure you get FreeSat (with the standard EPG) and not just 'free to view' which often has a crap EPG. I bought a cheap box from Lidl but returned it because the EPG was useless.

That setup is amazingly cheap - I suspect that it isn't FreeSat because there is a license fee to use the FreeSat logo and EPG which normally pushes the base price up.

X-posted to uk.tech.digital-tv.

Cheers

Dave T

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Yes I had that email as well. B-) Seems a bargin but bear in mind that= reciever is a generic free to air HD satelite box it's not any form of PVR. You won't have the Freesat EPG, so I think you only get "now & next= " information rather than a full 7 day guide, others will no doubt correct= or fill out that statement. B-)

The kit only comes with 30' of cable is that enough?

From your first para it looks like a PVR would be a better choice one with at least two DSAT receivers so you can record one channel whilst watching another. The LNB (box on the dish) will need at least two outputs. If you ever swap the telly to one with a DSAT receiver that wil= l also need a feed from the LNB so fit a quad LNB and blank off the unused= outputs with self amalgamating tape until needed.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Do you really mean "multiple LNBs" as in more than one or do you mean a quad LNB that has four seperate, independant, outputs?

Multiple LNBs are normally only used to receive more than one satellite (or constellation of satellites) that are adjacent to each other in the same bit of sky without having to install a motorised dish.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks.

Cable length not an issue - a) not much required; b) loads in shed. :-)

Are you saying that each LNB requires a separate run of cable?

Agreed some sort of PVR is probably what we want - but tend to avoid buying things like that in the run up to Christmas. So was thinking maybe 1) get this; 2) get it working; 3) (once we are happy all is well) cancel Virgin; 4) (next year - Virgin notice period will take us there, I am sure) buy Freesat PVR box.

Reply to
polygonum

Thanks - definitely will consider that.

Reply to
polygonum

That's a bldy good deal, snap it up. I was going to point you to CPC and even with discount codes it would have been 30 odd for a zone 1 dish and quad LNB, true it would have been a galvanised Triax dish but def worth a punt, I have an install to do before Christmas and will get one of those.

The screwfix box doesn't appear to be a freesat one so you don't get the super easy to use freesat EPG. Basic freesat boxes eg Bush SD one, come in at about 30quid and have only scart, to get HDMI for future proofing you need to pay 60-100 but you will get HD for that and a network connection that should support iPlayer (not other channels though I think). If you go to the Humax site and buy a graded box (12mth guar, hve bought several, no probs) you will save a fair bit. Foxsat HDR recording boxes are being replaced by their new Youview range so you can pick up a graded recording box from 150quid, bargain in my view, also HD.

Don't forget to buy a satellite alignment meter (fiver) and a roll of self amalgamating tape (2-3quid) for the dish connections. Trade trick is to cut cable to length first (_not_ too short) and make the connections before installing the dish. Buy CF100 grade cable with copper foil and braid screening, 'F' is for foam filled which resists water ingress better than good but air cored CT100 and the foam resists kinking. F-type plugs are used for connections.

Good luck!

Reply to
fred

We ditched Sky a couple of years ago having got fed up with the high cost and low quality programing. We now have a Humax Foxsat box hooked up to the old Sky dish via a 4 way LNB. The quality of the programmes is no better but at least we can watch one and record another or record two at a time and watch one on digital when the few decent things clash.

I changed the LNB and wired up it up myself (two cables required) with no problem. I even managed to run a third line to the old sky box in another room so we can watch whats free on Sky.

As STWNFI is a big cricket fan we also have a "Top up TV" box where we buy Sky sport by the month when the main tests are on.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

There's quite a variety of LNBs out there.

universal LNB: one output, also gets signals from receiver for band/polarization switching. no ext. switch needed.

twin LNB: like the above, but with two independent outputs(also switchable..).

quad LNB: like the above.

quattro LNB: surprise!! different!! 4 outputs. Low/Hi band Vert/Horz polarization. _requires_ external switch.

monoblocs: multiple LNBs in one package. used to get at two/more different satellite locations at the same time. integrated DiSEqC switch. Some people do not like those as the alignment requirements differ dependent on antenna location, but monoblocs have fixed alignment. alternative is to use a bar for mounting multiple distinct LNBs. May have to be narrow ones as otherwise they might not fit.

Above has mostly been copied from here:

may be a bit different in the UK.

It is also possible to use a rotating dish(USALS) to track multiple locations(but only one at a time).

The DiSEqC specs are available online on the eutelsat homepage:

it is a good idea to use a grounding block to keep the cabling(shield) at ground potential. It is slightly unpleasant getting zapped by a charged cable, but your set top box/computer will like it even less.

Reply to
Johann Klammer

Every satellite input on any receiver needs it's own connection to the LNB(*) as the receiver controls the LNB so thatthe LNB to send the right group of signals back to the receiver.

Yeah, seems sensible. You're aware of the limitations of that cheap kit from screwfix but it should be fairly straight forward to change the LNB to a quad one later. Put the four cables in now as that's the time consuming and hard bit, seal the unused outside ends well with SA tape.

When you upgrade the screwfix box can then be used else where (still needs and LNB connection of course) or feed the telly direct giving you the abilty to record 2 channels whilst watching another depending on the PVR you get.

(*)For up to 4 receivers a quad LNB will do after that it's worth considering a multiswitch that takes the four groups of signals from the LNB and feeds them as required to the recievers connected to it. Depends how many more receivers you need to feed. You can get octo LNBs but that's a big bunch of cables to get inside...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What is the point of doing that?

Reply to
The Other Mike

avoid titting about up a ladder?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

'cos they're a lot easier to do up if you are on then ground - rather than when balancing on a ladder. (and the safety elf mightn't like you doing that either)

Reply to
charles

As the guys have said, less faff, easier taping of the connector joints and it means you're taking a weatherproof assembly out onto the roof or wherever so you could theoretically do it when it's pissing down.

For a lazy installer though it can be an excuse for not putting a dish in the ideal location when the real reason is that all the LNBs were wired at home before they saw the job and they didn't put enough cable on.

Reply to
fred

Fitting the connector maybe, but you need to be up a ladder to swing and peak the dish. Having a cable attached to a dish as you are climbing the ladder is pointless and could lead to the installer leaving the ladder other than by the recognised method.

Also using a signal strength meter isn't such a huge problem even up a ladder

Reply to
The Other Mike

a) Buy a Freesat twin tuner PVR. I think that the replacement for the Humax Foxsat HDR is now available.

b) See uk.tech.digital.tv

c) Use

for little bits and technical info.

d) DIY installation is possible, but I would suggest purchasing a £10 Sat meter.

e) Look at the

satellite forums

f) You must have line of site to satellite

g) I would avoid the smallest Sky dishes. Bigger dishes get more signal which helps when its is raining.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Meh. We have a "Zone 1" minidish in the far north of England, go more than 30 miles further north and Sky fit the larger "Zone 2" minidishes.

We get a full strength signal with good quality on the end of about 40m of CT100.

We have had rain fade once for justa few minutes but boy it didn't half rain. The only other times we have lost the signal has been due to >1/2" of ice build up on the face of the dish.

This is a DIY install so the dish alignment is spot on not just a "got a signal that'll do" of a "professional Sky Cow^H^H^HInstaller".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice