Ryobi 18v combi drill - anyone got one?

Mass [production with computers controlling/monitoring the process mean cheap good quality goods for buttons. In Victoriana that never occurred.

But you can buy 5 of them for the best of breed.

In customer satisfaction Ryobi were equiv' to Makita and Hitachi

It is not. The all important price/performance is not mentioned.

So please explain why (for example) the PPPro router is a pile of junk. The product is only as good as the design and the quality of materials used.

It's irrelevant. 5 pieces of junk don't add up to one good product.

We already had this discussion and they were not.

Oh it is. The major manufacturer products typically come out as best of breed and best value.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

You have it firmly in your head that big price mean big quality. Cheaper products are equally reliable. Medium priced Honda's and Toyota's are more reliable than very expensive Merc and BMWs....just one example.

There is something of a correlation but it is not 100% - nothing ever is. It's not just my view, but is the opinion from many reviews of many different kinds of product.

That depends. I look at far more criteria than whether the thing is going to break or not. In respect of tools, other factors are accuracy, ease of use and control. Generally these are better on more expensive tools.

for 17 years from new. It cost about 5k at the time, and I am sure that over its entire life we didn't spend more than another 1k on it in total. My wife used it as a runabout to do the shopping and as a taxi service for the kids, but I wouldn't regard it as comfortable or comparable to a BMW 5 series for long journies.
Happy new year, by the way :-)

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

You have to compare like with like Toyota have cars in the 5 series that are far more reliable and quieter. The new Avensis is advertised as a "quiet" and solid car.

Happy New Year to all.

Must be right then ;-)

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

A friend has a new Avensis and they are right.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Toyota?

disappointed with the arrangement either.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
wrote in message

Are you a project manager by any chance?
By this logic a baby can be produced in 1 month if you have 9 women pregnant at the same time...
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 12:33:31 -0000, "Andy"

I've a feeling that he is and works for British Gas ;-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
wrote in message

No, no, no!

Just testing :-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
wrote in message

But you have to apply common sense too.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote in message ...

I agree with this sentiment in general, I personally buy Sears for cordless drills(lifetime warranty?), but would not buy Dewalt cordless, as IME they seem to be prone to gearbox problems. Their small SDS drill seems reliable. It's also quite usefull to be able to drive the 110V Xmas lights, which are almost given away in price terms in the US. Using a site xfmr gives the benefit of +/- 55V about earth for outside lights. It's also worth considering the US bathroom heat/light extractor fan units, they seem to run very satisfactorily on 50Hz and there is to the best of my knowledge, no equivalent in the UK. Certainly not for 40. Regards Capitol

Who make it?

Screwfix sell a combined extractor LV bathroom light.