Ryobi 18v combi drill - anyone got one?

Page 1 of 4
Looking at getting a new cordless drill. Currently been using a Challenge 18v 'cheapy sh*t' (as they are so affectionately referred to here :-)) for the last 3 years. Has been a very reliable drill but battery life after drilling a couple of large masonary holes is poor. Also keep hearing how a professional tool is so much better than the cheap DIY ones. Further, on a smaller point, I'm not a snob but if you're working on-site, other workmen seem to sneer when they see you with it (or is it my paranoia?). Also feel clients may not take me seriously if I'm not carrying the 'right' stuff.
Been trawling through previous threads mainly debating if Ryobi are professional or DIY range but can anyone give some feedback on their current 18v combi drills. Seen a cordless combi 18v drill and reciprocating saw set for 117. Looks good value compared to the DeWalts and Makitas which are more than twice that just for the drill.
This Ryobi offer looks very similar to the Performance Power Pro kit B&Q sell: http://tinyurl.com/z7eo but there is a massive price difference.
All info appreciated 'cept for flames etc. :-)

Aha...like the Nutool & Black 'n Decker professional range ;)

http://tinyurl.com/z7t9
On 14 Dec 2003 12:27:43 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@iname.com (StealthUK) wrote:

Ryobi are DIY and private label grade tools.
You could usefully pick up a copy of Axminster Power Tools catalogue. In there they have a classification system for almost all of the power tools that they sell ranging from hobby to light trade to trade to industrial.
In the area of cordless tools, apart from the mechanics, the key differentiators are the quality of the batteries and the control of the motor speed/torque.
I would suggest going to a tool store and looking at a Makita and a Bosch drill in the flesh. If you are using a cordless drill seriously and/or professionally then the difference should be startlingly obvious.
The Axminster tools show is a good venue for looking at a wide range of power tools from almost all of the vendors, but that was in November. There is the International Woodworking Exhibition at Alexandra Palace, which also has most of the tool vendors http://www.getwoodworking.com/iwe / but that isn't until the end of February
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

NiMh batteries. Cost about 70. The performance is excellent compared to a 24v cheapo. They are made in China, although I expect most of the big names are anyway..
(StealthUK) wrote:

They have a pro range. You know that. It says it on their webs site.

They have a range which they *say* is pro.
A few years ago when my daughter was studying for A levels she wanted some revision software so we made a trip together with my son to PC World to see what they had.
I was looking at something else with my son and my daughter came over clutching a box of software.
"This one's good" she said
"How do you know?" asked her brother.
"It says so on the box" she replied.
When we had finished falling about we looked again and found a much better product.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Yes. If says pro on it is likely to be anything but. PPPro springs to mind - perfectly good value DIY tools, but not pro by any stretch of the imagination.
--
*It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:13:46 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

Exactly.
It's the same marketing BS that hotel chains like "Quality Inn" and "Comfort Inn" use..... If they were, they wouldn't need to say it.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

So Makita and DeWalt don't say theirs are pro tools then?

doing......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Well, they don't have "Makita Pro" plastered all over them.
DW is another matter altogether - the low end stuff is nothing more than a fancy case with a mediocre tool housed within, IME. They still don't have "DW Pro" on them tho.
My Atlas Copco stuff doesn't have "Industrial" anywhere on the packaging/casing, but that's exactly what it is.....
-- Richard Sampson
wrote in message

And what evidence to prove otherwise? Protrade, who're a pro dealer, sell them to the trade. I have spoken to a few professionals who use them and no one has said anything derogatory.

The general feel and the motor control are not in the same league.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
wrote in message

So your uninformed opinion then.
I was browsing through a Selfbuid mag and they threw in a an add catalogue for Toolstation. http://www.toolstation.com/shop/ A pro tool dealer.
Amongst the blue Bosches they had Ryobi tools. One was 450. Some amateur maker eh! Also there was book by Fine woodworking, a large US mag. It is their assessment of power tools. On the drill driver pages amongst Makita and DeWalt, was Ryobi. Ryobi was give 4 stars out of five for customer satisfaction, the same as the Makita. And UK Ryobi's are supposed to be better than the US versions.
None of this is my opinion.

I'm pretty informed and careful when it comes to power tool purchase.

They also sell Rexon and some own brand cheap crap.
A cow is a quadruped (this means it has four legs). This does not mean that all quadrupeds are cows.

I am familiar with it since I am a subscriber.

Taunton's 2004 Tool Guide. I have a copy in front of me.

You're being a little selective here.
The article is about 18v cordless drills with tests based on power, endurance and comfort.
The Panasonic came out in the lead as editor's best value choice and reader's choice with an overall score of 4.53. Even though it was a 15.6v model, it had better torque and battery endurance than any of the 18v models, driving 463 screws whereas the next nearest, Metabo did 110 less. This is a clear vindication of something that I have said on numerous occasions as have others, that the battery technology is absolutely key in cordless tools. If you compare different makes, you quickly notice that the battery cost is higher in the better quality branded makes for demonstrable reasons. Here, the Panasonic costs about 230 inc. The U.S. street price of $195 together with the current exchange rate would make it very interesting to import one.
The other branded professional tools are in the 4.1 to 4.3 points range.
Ryobi comes second from bottom at $99 and 3.9 points, the lowest being a Grizzly at $85 and 3.55 points.
If you are going quote articles, at least do so accurately and not selectively.

The product mentioned in the article is made by Ryobi Technologies Inc who manufacture exclusively for Home Depot. As I am given to understand not the same company.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

No you are not. You just buy the most expensive and attempt to justify your purchase, and they recommend them to DIYers who will used them about 6 times a year.

Ryobi is amateur to you, at 450 for some tools. Please!!! Yes dear just off to B&Q to spend 450 on a tool to put the shelves up.

Price/performance is something you should take on board. The top batteries for life are "very" expensive. So expensive you can buy 10 cheapies, and still have change, and collectively still outlasts the top performer by very wide margin.

As I said "Ryobi was give 4 stars out of five for customer satisfaction, the same as the Makita." A few others were in the same rating too. They only assessed high quality tools and Ryobi was in the bunch of about 8 or 10 of them.

Andy? Please! They look identical with the same logo's as any other Ryobi.

I buy the most appropriate tool for my intended use. Price is a factor, but not the only factor. We have had the TCO and quality discussions before so I see no point in repeating them.
DIY does not automatically equate to cheap or low quality or low expectation of work quality.
In this particular thread the OP was looking for something for professional purposes.

It depends on what the tool is. 450 for an 18v combi pack is by no means top of the range.

Oh Ido, and I always look for it.

Not in my view or in that of the readers who were involved in this review.

Makita scored 4.16. The range was from 3.55 to 4.53
The Grizzly was an $85 model with one battery, no electric brake and the lowest performance. This is not high quality.
Price ranges were from $85 to $309 (for the Metabo).
This represents a sweep from across the range.

In the U.S. this is Home Depot's own brand along with Ridgid.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Of course, and not pay silly money for it.

The point? It is NOT amateur!!!

I have two Bosch battery tools and three 1 hour charge batteries. Each to replace is approx 60, the last time I looked. I love my 12v drill/driver because of the small size and light weight and excellent balance. So, if the batteries go I might consider buying a small simlar drill/driver from a cheaper maker. The Makita lookalikes in Maplin, someone was on about, look good enough for me.

Never heard of it and name is apt then.

Apart from the Grisly, they all looked heavy DIY to mostly pro stuff.

So a better deal in the UK then.

True, but for somebody using a tool professionally, if it works better, has a longer lifetime and doesn't need to be returned faulty then paying more may well be worthwhile, simply for not having to waste the time.

That doesn't correlate at all.
Three or four cheap tools in a box adding up to 450 is still three or four cheap tools. They don't magically become better because they are packed in a nice plastic box.

That's fine then. Feel free to go ahead and buy one. I hope that you find it good enough for your needs and don't feel upset when you have to return it broken.

It's a brand of tools and machinery in the U.S.

They all were pro products apart from the Grizzly($85) and the Ryobi($99).
There is then a price jump to $180 for the Hitachi, $195 for the Panasonic, $200 for the Porter Cable, Milwaukee and Bosch at $240, Makita at $250, DeWalt at $270 and the Metabo at $309.

No, I don't think so.....

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

All true, and that's why he is looking at Ryobi.