Rusty Microwave

We've had our microwave a few years now and I've noticed that it's started to get a few rust spots under where the glass plate sits. (It's a Sanyo so not like it's a cheapie make) Is this usual?
I don't use it very often but does anyone know if it's still safe to use?
Have posted this from elsewhere - promised to ask if anyone can help.
Thanks in advance
Frank Healy

Frank Healy wrote:

Didn't we just do this a few days back? :) You can paint it...
Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

Lee Blaver wrote on Wednesday (07/01/2004) :

If it is just surface rust and can be cleaned off, then do that plus paint it. If it is flaking and thin, then the danger is of poor RF connections to the rest of the case. As such it will be liable to arcing and if bad enough, leaking microwaves to the surrounding area.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)

I suggest you leave the door slightly open after use to allow moisture to escape after use. Microwaves end up with a piece of hot steaming food in a relatively cold oven (unlike a conventional oven), so the oven tends to get covered in condensation. Ovens usually blow the waste heat from the magnetron through the oven too which helps, but that stops when the microwave stops, and doesn't give time to dry out the oven.

If you were having it PAT tested, rust in the oven lining would normally be a test failure. If you want to carry on using it, I would use something like a drawing pin and check you can't push it through the metalwork, and recheck every couple of months. If/when the metal is perferated, you should dispose of the oven and make it inoperable.
--
Andrew Gabriel

after use - I've wondered if that was maybe the reason. Though the stainless interior means rust isn't a problem.

rid of it anyway.
--
Chris French, Leeds

the glass plate - it was where the wheels rubbed i think.

So I gave up on that., we carried on using , eventually the amount of rust got to much for us and we bought a new one, with a stainless interior, which doesn't have to add anything to the cost nowadays.
--
Chris French, Leeds

Sharp are no better IME (we bought two at the same time, one for us, one for my sister) and both were rusted to f*ck within 2 years.
Ours has been replaced with a Panasonic - much better overall, and it even gave the wife a laugh when I went to set the clock - the display just kept scrolling "read the manual" every time I tried :-p

Since when has Sanyo not been a cheapie make?
Christian.