rusty bolts

HI from Sunny South Africa My son is in the process of sanding down and re painting an old metal garden bench with wooden planks. Trouble is, we cant remove the rusty nuts from bolts attached to the sides of the bench. We've tried hammering with force and oil - nothing helps. Please could you advise us. (Hack saw will be difficult as its such a small place to get into)

Reply to
alanchazen

You can get a 'nut splitter' which you tighten onto the nut and crack it in two.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

|!HI from Sunny South Africa |!My son is in the process of sanding down and re painting an old metal |!garden bench with wooden planks. Trouble is, we cant remove the rusty |!nuts from bolts attached to the sides of the bench. We've tried |!hammering with force and oil - nothing helps. |!Please could you advise us. (Hack saw will be difficult as its such a |!small place to get into)

Small angle grinder would take the nuts off completely. Take care not to damage the bench too much.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Drill them out, either into the bolt part or the side of the nut.

Reply to
adder1969

Probably the bolts have very shallow heads, so drilling the head off would be quickest. Or 2nd quickest, angle grinder is the quick easy way.

50/50 oil/paraffin lasts a lot better than paint, is easier to apply and cheaper. More here:
meow2222