OT Ground source heat pumps

Anyone here had any experience of these? (installation/costs and so on....)

Reply to
cupra

We're in the process of having one installed - with 600m of collector pipework in three trenches.

Out here in Ireland the estimate for the work was in the region of

12000 euro - quite a lot of which is for the 'groundwork'. Good news is that out here there's a government grant for 4000 euro.

The heat pump itself is rated at 2kw - and is reckoned to return 2-3 kw of heat for every kw of electricity. The system we're having has two pumps, one for whole-house heating and the other for when you only want domestic hot water...

If you need any more info then please ask

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

It seems to be an off-the-cuff £10,000 for a decent one for a place in the country with plenty of land available around it.

A very long payback time.

Reply to
EricP

I'd be interested to know how well it all works when comissioned - how much space is the groundworks taking up?

Reply to
cupra

The system we're having is very similar to the one they've got installed next-door.

They like their house 'very' warm..... Apparently the water coming out of the heatpump to the rads was at 65

- 70C - in the depths of (Irish) winter - though this is adjustable....

As to the groundworks. We had a bit of ground that dipped rater inconveniently, and we wanted it levelled for a polytunnel, so we half-excavated / half-filled the area - so that the collector pipes are in trenches 3ft deep with 3ft of soil on top of the original ground level (if that makes sense).

Because we had the space, we just installed three trenches at about

50m each - and put two loops of 100m-long pipe in each. These come back to a couple of manifolds (like you'd use for underfloor heating)

- and then to the (still-to-be-installed) heat pump.

If you're stuck for space, it's also possible to install the ground collector in a narrow vertical borehole....

I'll try & remember to let you know when we've got the system commissioned.....

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks Adrian - fortunately our garden has plently of space and needs landscaping too!

Reply to
cupra

Hi I have seen these pumps installed as you mentioned on a vertical bore hole some 30mts i think .I do remember there where concerns over the noise levels allthough I dont know if these where founded . They also installed a gas supply as a precaution .

Pablo

Reply to
pablomartin

My father supplies and fits ground and air to heat recovery systems. I can post a link. but don't know if it is allowed in this group.

Gary

Reply to
grrr

its ok if its a repsonse to a direct question, and gives relevant info.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If you don't feel like posting it (which I think is okay), you can always email me....

Reply to
cupra

|!EricP wrote: |!> On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 14:24:26 +0100, " cupra" |!> wrote: |!>

|!>> Anyone here had any experience of these? (installation/costs and so |!>> on....) |!>>

|!> It seems to be an off-the-cuff ?10,000 for a decent one for a place in |!> the country with plenty of land available around it. |!>

|!> A very long payback time. |! |!My father supplies and fits ground and air to heat recovery systems. I can |!post a link. but don't know if it is allowed in this group.

Links as part of a discussion are allowed. Or would be if we had a Charter .

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I'm sure very many here would be pleased to see the link, me included

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

That's an ideal situation then.... There may be grants in the UK.....?

Regards Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I agree - go for it

Reply to
Colin Wilson

ok. the web site is work in progress. but there are links to our email, we also have a working showroom.

Gary

Reply to
grrr

systems.

group.

included

Interesting site. Are there typical prices that you could illustrate ?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Yep - I'm going to explore the possibilites and start counting my pennies!

Reply to
cupra

Try here

wattie

I installed a ground source heat pump 4 years ago into a barn that i was converting. The groundwork, in my case, was much greater than initially expected since 2 rock seams crossed the route of our pipework. I have since been involved in 2 other settings both of which went very smoothly. As to the payback... if you are not on mains gas then the sums work out. Just calculate the annual cost of a mortgage of lets say =A38000 and I think you will find that annual outgoings are less than your savings. In addition you are also doing your bit for the environment.

Would I do it again? Yes!!!

Have I recommended it to friends? Yes!!!

Are there drawbacks? Yes!!! The main one being that unlike conventional boilers the units are not oversized and so recovery time tends to be longer. I tend to run my for 8 hours at night (cheap electricity) and then just top ups throughout the day. With my system I also get all my DHW from the system... there are mixed views on this, but I am pleased with the results and the efficiency.

If you want a chat about it then get in touch.

Calum Sabey NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544

Reply to
calums

Thanks Calum - do you mind if I drop you an email?

Reply to
cupra