Running CH off an inverter?

Terribly unreliable things back up generators. Can a man wind a handle to open the valves at Dinorwic?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I thought the UKs major generating stations were altered so the main alternator exciters could be energised from station auxiliary sets with the purpose of preventing the whole network being brought to its knees as happened inNorth America some years ago. The likelihood of having to carry out a complete black start in the UK became much more remote after this change. (or is my memory going?)

Reply to
John

| On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:54:27 +0100, Matt wrote: | | > A similar procedure is regularly practiced in the UK at a few places | > designated for black start capability "just in case" Last time I | > saw one back in 2000 the diesel failed to start due to a defective | > relay :-) | | Terribly unreliable things back up generators. Can a man wind a handle | to open the valves at Dinorwic?

Dinorwic is not really backup, it pumps water up during the night, and down, to produce electricity, during the day.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

True but it's not part of the base load system. It's there to cover the end of Corrie. B-)

In theory at least you don't need anything more than a man and a torch to get things turning. I know it'll be a lot more complicated than that in reality though...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

I'll ask - we (well my employers) own Dinorwig.

Reply to
Andrew Sinclair

In message , John writes

Biggest problem is that your typical 500MW coal fired unit (Rugeley, Fiddlers Ferry, Didcot) etc needs around 20 MW to start as the boiler fans and feed water pumps have some quite big motors. With a dead system you need black start generation, typically provided by Avon or Olympus gas turbine sets. National Grid pay the generators to provide this service.

Reply to
Andrew Sinclair

| On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 20:32:39 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote: | | > Dinorwic is not really backup, it pumps water up during the night, | > and down, to produce electricity, during the day. | | True but it's not part of the base load system. It's there to cover | the end of Corrie. B-) | | In theory at least you don't need anything more than a man and a torch | to get things turning. I know it'll be a lot more complicated than | that in reality though...

We took a trip round Dinorwic and it is definitely more complicated than that.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Don't the big stations (Drax, Fiddlers etc) already have their own on site gas turbine sets? ISTR seeing sets at Drax many years ago when I had a tour of the station. I suppose the whole situation has changed dramatically since the old CEGB was broken up. It might have been imperfect but it did give confidence of supply and had some good ideas in place. Longannet, Bold and many others were actually built on top of coal mines which made for good fuel logistics. Although we have moved on from there considering their dependency on that particular pit and the vagaries of the NUM. when Scargill was running amok.

Reply to
John

Found one in an Army surplus store for £29.99: looked as though it had seen a bit of action though! Still, that's about the right price range for a bit of kit I hope never to use. Also looking at oil lamps, not super-bright but functional, and a good ornament if you buy a victorian-style one with a nice shade and a double-wick. Absolute bargain basement hurricane oil lamps are a fiver, and will knock a candle into a cocked hat.

Now all I need is a tin helmet, ammo and a big dog and I'm ready for anything!

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

This looks to me like the price of lack of peace of mind. Surely one can manage quite happily without all the mod cons for a short while occasionally. A light, yes, but the rest?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Ebay. Don't bid above £22 + $5 P&P.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I'm inclined to agree but define "short while". No power for a couple of hours isn't a problem at all. 6hrs and you are starting to get cold and hungry, 12hrs very cold, hot food and drink would be welcome.

18hrs and the contents of the freezer are heading towards the bin bag unless you fancy cold peas, cold raw meat or un-nuked micro meals. Then of course there is no TV, DVDs, videos, play station, internet...

It's simple things that make adverse conditions completely bearable rather than just tolereable or down right uncomfortable.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice