Rubber glue

I'm looking for the toughest most durable rubber tyre to EPDM rubber glue p ossible. Evo-stik contact adhesive is the classic one, though I'm not seeing it stoc ked anywhere nearby, so would need to buy online. Wilko have: All purpose clear glue 67g £1.50, which was recommended on here as one to use Permanent rubber adhesive Contact adhesive - these 2 just under £2 each.

Which one's best?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Is it flat on flat? If not you might want something gap filling like Shoe Goo.

Reply to
newshound

refixed soles on shoes, much stronger than Evo Stick.

Reply to
Davidm

lue possible.

stocked anywhere nearby, so would need to buy online.

Thanks, I'd better look for it then.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's the gap filling and flexibility where Shoe Goo wins. For putting laminate on worktops, or vinyl down on flooring chipboard then the standard EvoStik type "rubber solutions" are absolutely fine.

If you need a fillet to protect an edge (a bit like a capping weld, say) Shoe Goo is good for that too. Try to apply just the right amount, and let it shape itself by surface tension before it sets, then you get a neat finish.

Reply to
newshound

glue possible.

it stocked anywhere nearby, so would need to buy online.

I'm after whatever will take repeated physical forces best. It will flex sl ightly in use. I'm not sure whether it'll need to gap fill, but probably mo re likely it will. The wilko options would avoid postage fwiw.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

glue possible.

it stocked anywhere nearby, so would need to buy online.

'Shoe Goo is composed of toluene, styrene-butadiene copolymer, and solvent naphtha.[4][5]' Well well, builder's SBR is just that, styrene butadiene. 'About 50% of car tires are made from various types of SBR. The styrene/but adiene ratio influences the properties of the polymer: with high styrene co ntent, the rubbers are harder and less rubbery.[' ' Other uses include shoe heels and soles, gaskets, and even chewing gum.[3 ]'

So maybe I could use some diyer's SBR? IIUC it's emulsified rather than dis solved, but the end result is almost identical.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That's the American MSDS, my tube says it contains perchloroethylene.

As you say, SBR is emulsified rather than dissolved. Evaporated shoe goo leaves you with solid polymer, dried out SBR leaves you with individual particles with variable adhesion. And no real gap filling.

Reply to
newshound

er glue possible.

g it stocked anywhere nearby, so would need to buy online.

ent naphtha.[4][5]'

/butadiene ratio influences the properties of the polymer: with high styren e content, the rubbers are harder and less rubbery.['

dissolved, but the end result is almost identical.

perc is just a solvent. SBR is the solid component.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr