Router recommendation

Page 3 of 3
PoP wrote:

Must admit I am much the same. Doing calculations is much simpler I find with SI units and hence metric mesures, but there are many things I find hard to visualise in metric.
I am quiet happy designing and marking out woodwork in metric, although I still tend to think in terms of a 2" x 3" rather than 50x75 when talking about stock sizes, and "half inch" or "three quater inch" board thicknesses are a much simpler concept than 12.7mm or 19mm I find.
> I can visualise 1/8th of an inch a lot better than I can 3mm.
For smaller mesures (i.e under 1/4") I find mm is actually easier for me to work with... but I much perfer being 6'3" than 190cm - and as for weight - its pretty bad in stone or kgs! ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

PoP wrote:

Commonly used phrases when we're positioning things at work go along the lines of "back to me half an inch, too far, take it back a couple of mil". Sounds confusing but it works in practice.
--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk /
James Hart wrote:

I know that feeling! I picked up some nice folding rules this week, Stabila ones branded samson ag as freebies, metric only 2 M long when opened, the guy from Samson saw then in a catalog and thought they were 300mm fold in half to pocket size...He had 500 to give away, but as they are so big only had a few with him, mores the pity.
PoP wrote:

It seems that router designs get re-used / re-badged by all sorts - it can be rather difficult to say exactly who makes what. Many seem to be of chinese origin.

I noticed that Makro had a new range of tools badged under the brand "Budget". They would certainly seem to live upto the name on price (and probably quality as well - but I did not stop to study them!). The 1/4" router - design pretty much like NuTool etc. (i.e. mid sized rip off of the original Elu design) was 14.95 + VAT!
--
Cheers,

John.

I recently bought the T9 which I got for the purpose of fitting worktops. Only done one worktop joint so far but it handled that very well. I have used the router with my dovetail jig and found the extra weight and size more reassurring. Previously only used the small Bosch POF500A.
So far very pleased with my choice.
Eric

After reviewing all of the helpful replies to this thread I decided to go with the Trend T9. I could have saved a few quid going for one of the other alternatives mentioned, but I'm looking on this as a lifetime investment - if it can see me through the next 15 years or so then I'm into bus pass territory.
In case anyone else might be looking to compare different routers the D&M web site has a helpful page where you can compare like with like:
http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/store/comparison.php3?sn=&type=routers
To find that page in the future, find a router of interest, and on that routers detail page is a link to the comparison table.
PoP
PoP wrote:

Alas the table seems a bit inaccurate as far as I can tell. The Freud has a fine height adjuster and soft start for example - not listed in the table. The T5 also has soft start... and so on. Hence there may be erros in the specs for the others - but since I don't own them I can't say ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.