Roofing progresses - chipboard deck!!!

The commodity markets have Lead at $2242/tonne and Zinc at $2014/tonne.

So I'd expect the scrap values to be similar, of course Zinc is 0nly

7.14g/cm^3, lead is 11.34g/cm^3 so per unit volume you get less for your zinc than lead. And zinc as used on roofs is only about 1/4 the thickness of code 5 lead.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's actually quite easy to work, though, with basic school metal working skills. Can be easily soldered too.

Yes. Not actually that much different from lead - you have to allow for expansion.

It seems to have a life of around 100 years if not damaged by walking on etc. Next door (Victorian house, but of a slightly different design to mine) has a flat roof to the rear addition in zinc. It started leaking around '70, but my neighbour blamed that on her kids playing on it. Her hubby just covered it in felt, and that was re-done 'properly' in zinc perhaps 20 years ago. And no-one allowed on it since. Looks as good now as the day it was done - although it has of course patinated.

I have a zinc tray above a bay window, and that leaked through perforation in the '80s. I made a new one myself and it's still fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When done by cowboys.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Ah i didn?t realise it was that big..

yes it must have been and it was that i was worrying about would hate to have recommended a duff tradesman even via this media.

-
Reply to
Mark

Asbestos lasts well when there's a slope, with a 50 year or so life. I'd expect the modern equivalent to last similarly.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Exuberant woodwind section.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Nah! Zinc are part of the brass section...

Reply to
polygonum

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon