Reusing compression olives

Page 1 of 3
Quick question - when removing radiators from their tails (or other compression fittings using olives) - should you replace the olive when you do it up again? I've never really had to consider this before, and I just want to make sure before I start putting things back together again!
Thanks
David

Yes you should. No I didn't.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

I'm puzzled... As the olive practically cold welds itself to the pipe, how are you supposed to get it off? AFAIK you can undo and tighten up compression fittings as many times as you like. I've never heard of any requirement to replace olives each time.

You get it off by *very* carefully hacksawing a slot in the olive, insert a big screwdriver and twist, it pings off. But if you nick the pipe with the saw you will never get the new joint to seal. So I think you are better reusing the old olive & I don't see any reason not to.
--
Tim Mitchell

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 15:53:28 +0000, Tim Mitchell

Alternatively get one of these tools:
http://tinyurl.com/xy2t
They are available for other olive sizes too. I bought the 15mm version and it's the bees knees for stripping olives off.
PoP
On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 23:42:32 +0000, PoP wrote:

Oh something for the Christmas list... Naw I get on quite well with the junior hacksaw and screwdriver, slower I guess but I'd rather have a LED binary clock. B-)
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

The hacksaw doesn't work so well where there is restricted space..... :)
PoP
Dave Liquorice wrote:

.......but I'd rather have a LED binary clock. B-)
Good grief, I made one of those once must have been around 1980

I made a Nixie Tube one using TTL which used the mains frequency as a timebase via a Schmitt trigger on the secondary of a transformer in 1968!

Me too, although mine was built about 3 years later as a project after I'd finished A levels and was bored.
IIRC, there was a design for it in one of the electronics magazines. The TTL counters and especially the decoder/drivers for the tubes were pretty expensive and one had to be careful to avoid blowing them up with the 180v or so used to drive the tubes.
I added an alarm and a relay to mine with comparator logic and some thumbwheel switches. Later I changed to a quartz oscillator for the time reference.
The whole thing fitted into a case a little bit smaller than a breeze block.
It worked well then and still works today......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I designed mine from scratch around components I could get hold of cheaply, as TTL was very expensive back then. I seem to remember I bought a lot of components from a company called BiPrePak, based in Ware, Herts. They used to supply big packs of 50 or more assorted 'fall out' devices for about 10 bob. The devices mainly worked but had outputs missing/not connected or the parts were mis-marked. Half the fun was getting something working out of that pile of bits!
Dave
Dave Gibson wrote:

[snip]
I didn't have that problem as I worked for an electronics company and they let you have what you wanted within reason..... mind you, the pay was rubbish...

Like a friend of mine years ago who booked in a metal box as a "Mixer" at the security gate, and walked out a couple of weeks later with, well a mixer actually
--
geoff

I worked in the electronic maintenance department of Mullards, on shiftwork. I remember they had 4 big metal cabinets containing essential components for repairing shop floor equipment which only the maintenance staff could get the keys for.
Always empty of any useful components as I recall. Memories are very dim now but I believe there were some damn good stereo systems, metal detectors and even the ping-pong TV tennis games which were just appearing in the mid-70's made from those components.
Allegedly. I wouldn't want anyone to get the idea that I knew this was going on.....we were usually far too busy playing 3 card brag as soon as the day shift went home ;)
PoP

I recall a very similar experience.
Then there were always the respresentatives from the manufacturers who were dying to have their components designed into products.
Generally it cost them a few samples of non related components for home office projects.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Good grief, it really is "hobby electronics reunion" time here on uk.d-i-y ;-) I remember the name as "BiPak" rather'n "BiPrePak", but you may well be right. It was them, and John Bull (who are still going, selling any amount of surplus electronics and nudge-nudge hydroponics and discharge lighting kit ;-) with their "Bargain Packs" of semi-discarded components and subassemblies, which were the main source of dodgy components for dodgy projects when I were a lad. Only remember one mains tingle, from the Cool Lighting FX box from a Practical Electronics design, where an oscillator ran at an adjustable frequency just south of 50Hz to control a thyristor (pre-triac days, if I remember aright, so very dim light output!) to give Just Like TopOfThePops fading up and down at various speeds. Ah, the fun we had before Health&Safety were inventured ;-)
Stefek
BiPak and BiPrePak were both around selling packs at 50p each. Also G.F.Milwards for resitors and capacitors and Henrys for exotic items like inductors.
wrote:

cheaply,
of
used
10
the
;-)

cheaply,
of
used
10
the
;-)
Yep, when I worked for Ferranti in the mid 1970's the reject transistors used to come through my London office on their way to BiPak in tea-chests. Zillions of E line BC109 equivs that were mainly low gain or leaky.
Andrew Mawson

Sure is... Now, IIRC, there was a Bi-Pak, and a Pre-Pak, as well as Bi-Pre-Pak, all competing for the most prominent advert in Practical Electronics (1970s?).
OOI, who remembers the radio/electronic shops in Birmingham in the 60s? Chas. H. Young in Corporation St., and the three emporia in Hurst St. - Norman H Field, Radiocentre, and the one on the other side of the road whose name I've forgotten. Between them they took most of my surplus pocket money. Somewhere I've still got the Sinclair X-10 amplifier that I bought in NHF. It's probably a collector's item by now...
--
Andy

whose
Bought my first transistor at Fields - a red spot - for about 5/6d as I remember, but that would have been about 1956