Reusing compression olives

Nope, never been there. My father was a consultant to Heathkit, on a monthly retainer, and they shipped the kits out to us.

Thank you! I wasn't aware of that site - my husband will enjoy it, as will my Mother.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

My Dad had one of those in his lab/workshop. I gave him an abacus, which he kept propped up at the side of the Heathkit monster - it tended to make people laugh.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

And have dekatron tubes for the display?

Reply to
Andy Wade

My much loved and lovely Heathkit clock is still going strong and is the living room clock 30-diddly years after I constructed it.

I was looking at Rugby-radio-linked clocks today and they still don't make one that I would want to replace the Heathkit with.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

Vellerman (Maplin) do a rather nice kit - digital display, but not radio controlled, which uses individual LEDs to make up the approx 2" high display, so big enough to mount say high up in a room. And it has a remote control to make setting easy if you do mount it in an inaccessible place. It has loads of other functions rather than just being a clock, but I'm using it in toggle mode where it cycles between time date and room temperature.

Of course, you can buy such things ready made, but most are LCD to allow battery operation, so can't be seen in the dark.

It's pretty pricey, but I picked up mine off ebay at about 1/3rd of the Maplin price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Not when it's a replica of a 1910-ish Gustav Bros. mantel clock (although their was analogue clockwork)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Good grief, it really is "hobby electronics reunion" time here on uk.d-i-y ;-) I remember the name as "BiPak" rather'n "BiPrePak", but you may well be right. It was them, and John Bull (who are still going, selling any amount of surplus electronics and nudge-nudge hydroponics and discharge lighting kit ;-) with their "Bargain Packs" of semi-discarded components and subassemblies, which were the main source of dodgy components for dodgy projects when I were a lad. Only remember one mains tingle, from the Cool Lighting FX box from a Practical Electronics design, where an oscillator ran at an adjustable frequency just south of 50Hz to control a thyristor (pre-triac days, if I remember aright, so very dim light output!) to give Just Like TopOfThePops fading up and down at various speeds. Ah, the fun we had before Health&Safety were inventured ;-)

Stefek

Reply to
stefek.zaba

BiPak and BiPrePak were both around selling packs at 50p each. Also G.F.Milwards for resitors and capacitors and Henrys for exotic items like inductors.

Reply to
G&M

Yep, when I worked for Ferranti in the mid 1970's the reject transistors used to come through my London office on their way to BiPak in tea-chests. Zillions of E line BC109 equivs that were mainly low gain or leaky.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Sure is... Now, IIRC, there was a Bi-Pak, and a Pre-Pak, as well as Bi-Pre-Pak, all competing for the most prominent advert in Practical Electronics (1970s?).

OOI, who remembers the radio/electronic shops in Birmingham in the 60s? Chas. H. Young in Corporation St., and the three emporia in Hurst St. - Norman H Field, Radiocentre, and the one on the other side of the road whose name I've forgotten. Between them they took most of my surplus pocket money. Somewhere I've still got the Sinclair X-10 amplifier that I bought in NHF. It's probably a collector's item by now...

Reply to
Andy Wade

Bought my first transistor at Fields - a red spot - for about 5/6d as I remember, but that would have been about 1956

Reply to
Norman Billingham

X-10 amplifier that I bought | > in NHF. It's probably a collector's item by now... | | | Bought my first transistor at Fields - a red spot - for about 5/6d as I | remember, but that would have been about 1956 | |

If you've still got the receipt, I dare you to take it back and ask for a refund. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop

Hi

OK you've convinced me, after all it'll save money reusing the olives. Now, I can understand cleaning them up with wire wool, though it seems a little fiddly for a £1 jar of olives, but what I dont understand is how you get the olives back after you've eaten them. Anyone?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

replying to Andy Wade, Susierego wrote: Hello Andy, not sure if you still read this. My Grandad Eric was the boss of Radiocentre.If you ever went in there my mum June his daughter was serving in there. There wasn't a thing she didn't know about electrical equipment. I spent every Saturday and all the Summer holidays in the shop during the 1960 and 70s. It was like a second home to me. Mum used to give me the valve boxes to make up and write the serial number on. I loved that shop. Sadly mum and Grandad passed away. I think I inherited my ability to fix electrical items from all those years spent in Radiocentre. I still wear a ring that was given to my mum in exchange for a set of speakers. That's how it was in those days.

Reply to
Susierego

I know it's an old post, but...

+- 300v supplies, weight 43lbs, 0.1 to 15 cps operation. If it was a valve machine it must have cost a small fortune.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You will never get one off intact or without damaging the pipe Occasionally they leak when reconnected Just needs a bit of PTFE tape wrapped round them to fix the problem.

Reply to
harry

It took you 14 years and 2 days to answer that one Harry! Been busy? :)

Reply to
The Other John

Maybe they use a MONIAC?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Talking bollocks too. Admittedly rarely get one off intact (except when it?s been on stainless steel pipe) but not too hard to remove without any damage to the pipe. Done it many times.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Slide hammer?