Resin bonded gravel drives

Has anyone experiance of resin bonded gravel drives. This year I'll be laying a driveway to the house, and although the base will be mass concrete want a better top surface. We have extensive pea beach elsewhere, but it gets everywhere - sticks in shoes and ends up in the house, so wondered if resin bonded shingle would be the way to go. Is it possible to DIY or how's it done?

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I remember quite some years ago admiring someone's path and drive that had some sort of bonded pea shingle. He said it was shortly to be replaced with something else because it was like an ice rink when wet. Hopefully the resin you refer to is not so slippery or will not reach the upper surface of the shingle.

Reply to
Invisible Man

That sounds like a description of the pavements they relaid all around us. They look like tarmac, but they weren't. They were laid cold and then set, with no tarmac smell or heating at all. They look excellent, but that maybe more down to the quality of the workmanship, which quite impressed me, sufficiently to tell the workmen doing it at the time.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

But might it be that the path was slippery,not because of the resin ,but because the pea shingle was " fixed" whereas if it was loose then it would "give" as you walked on it and you wouldn't slip.

Reply to
fictitious

My next door neighbour has it, it's been down now about 13-14 years, the age of their house.

They don't ever seem to have any undue problems with it, except that there are quite distinct wear marks from vehicle tyres. The surface is virtually bald in places.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Pea gravel is always a mistake. I went for 20mm chippings and have very little problem with it wandering. The larger size means it does not get picked up in shoes or tyres and chippings have sharp edges, so tend to lock themselves in place better than rounded gravel. I have seen bonded gravel surfacing in catalogues, but the prices were horrendous.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

How about considering something different such as a honeycomb grid which can be used to stabilize the gravel. Here are a few links:

Rob Horton

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Nice legs.

Reply to
Bruce

Cats also think pea gravel is a suitable toilet. Resin bonded pea gravel may confuse them somewhat! :)

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Starling

I'm going to use to re-lay my gravel driveway as soon as the weather warms up a bit.

Reply to
pcb1962

Can't see the face.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"nightjar .me.uk>"

message

Colin, I agree 10mm pea is not the best - but we inherited a large proportion of an acre of it here when we moved in, and replacement isn't really an option !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I agree about pea gravel. I have 20mm gravel on my drive/front garden & its a great surface. The drive has 2 tonnes of compacted type 1 under it and doesn't move about at all.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Looks like an old bike to me.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I won't make the obvious reply ... ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Would you wear shoes like that to ride any bike?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Notice the subtle difference in the before and after shoots? Bl^^dy marketing guys!

Reply to
Clot

Peter Parry

"pcb1962" wrote

Hmmm, tempting. That looks like good stuff and a cheap way to get your driveway redone and to current regs too :)

Reply to
Jon