resin bonded drive surfacing

Hi,

I have an opportunity (= pressing need) to re-do an existing driveway (of about 8m. x 3m.). It is currently a loose shingle on bitumen surface, which has deformed under the load of vehicles.

I am looking into a a resin-bonded gravel surface, which I understand is superior to resin-bound surface.

Some questions:-

a. What substrate is advisable? I am assuming that concrete would be the most stable and long lasting.

b. I believe resin-bound gives a semi-porous surface, but presume this is negated by having a concrete substrate?

c. Are there known makes/processes that are recommended and guaranteed? How would I identify a quality contractor?

d. What performance in respect of UV resilience of resin, and stain resistance could I expect?

e. Apart from colour, and grain size, are there important considerations about gravel type?

e. Would it be advisable for the same contractor to prepare the substrate and lay the resin?

f. What would be a reasonable price /m2?

Cheers in advance for any advice.

Chris

Reply to
cskrimshire

There are some areas of that in town, I'd be a bit wary, it's not that you feel likely to slip on it, more that you think you'd come of badly if you *did* slip on it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Very expensive: #1 - It is a costly thin-layer surface #2 - It is double-surfacing re cost because it needs bitument/concrete under it #3 - It requires a very good sub-base

I suspect you do not want concrete block because it looks pretty awful? Is the load capacity of high-end CLAY blocks ok, you can get quite boring to quite interesting multi-sized designs. Cost wise it will still be less.

Resin IS nasty if you fall on it, and the quality of installation is important.

Reply to
js.b1