replacing gloss with satin

All, I am about to repaint all the door frames in my house and have decided to use dulux satinwood paint. What proceedure should I follow - strip down using sandpaper, prime and then paint.. or just sugar soap it, sand out any inperfections and then paint over the top ?? Are there any tricks or the trade for such a simple sounding job ?
NC wrote:

I've done this, and just sugarsoaped, liquisanded (or give enough sanding to provide a key and take the shiny finish off the gloss), and painted. As long as there's been enough of a key provided, it's fine - I slapped two coats on of satin over god knows how many coats of gloss (from a chip on another door frame, I'd say about 6 different colours - old place!)
Velvet
Velvet wrote:

what is, and where can I get, liquisand ?? Is this just a slightly 'bitty' fluid - much like the wife's exfoliating type stuff ?

any
All I did was give it a good sanding all over to provide a key/remove knibs, vacuum thoroughly then give a good wipe over with a clean lint free cloth dampened with white spirit/turps. I always thin the satinwood slightly (about 5%) as I find its more inclined to dry with no brushmarks and easier to spread. I always take the doors off for prep/painting and lay them on a trestle, less likely to get runs and I find it easier for panelled doors and rads (used satinwood as well). I put 2 coats on with a light rub down /vacuum /rub over with damp cloth as before. Superb finish.

any
I'll be doing the same next week coincidentally. What is the purpose of the sugar soap, I've never seen it before? Looks to be just a cleaning agent to me, is that all it's used for here?
Personally, I've already removed all the skirting for another bit of work, so I've sanded it already. Was going to sand the door/window skirting (old flat) in situ as well, but I could maybe be tempted to give the sugar soap a bash (with a toothbrush maybe?), given the shape of the wood in places (makes sanding awkward). I'm not sanding the old paint off, just getting a smooth surface for the new paint.
Cheers,
Fraser.
sugar soap is just a cleanign agent - but its got nothign to do with sugar ..! Its used to remove all grease etc to ensure that the surface is as clean as possible without the need to scrub it with other detergents.

the