Replacing a faulty MR16 downlighter

Hi

A MR16 12V halogen downlight has failed in a kitchen of my relative. Checks with a meter suggest that the associated transformer has failed. The transformer is dedicated to that light fitting and the transformer/light fitting was manufactured by JCC.

I am undecided whether to replace it with a similar unit or to do away with the transformer completely and fit a 240V led GU10 unit. I have two questions:

1) Which course of action would you recommend?

2) Am I allowed to do this by Part P, given that I am not a qualified electrician? And am I correct in thinking this work is non-notifiable?

Thanks

David

Reply to
cornerstone.school22

The 12V lamps are much more efficient (even after allowing for transformer losses), and have more accurately defined beam angles (although that can be a bad thing when they're downlighters being used for general lighting). The 12V wiring must be well connected as the high current is a fire risk in conjunction with poor connections.

Correct. Even in a special location, like-for-like replacement is not notifiable.

However, none of us can judge if you are compitent to do so.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for your reply. One more question please: Strictly speaking, am I allowed to do this work if the house is not my own dwelling?

Reply to
davidandbella

That's up to the owner. You will need to ask, or check your contract. I suspect the answer will be No, and they expect to pay for fixing things like that which go wrong.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Assuming that the relative with the faulty transformer owns their own place then I see no problem.

Reply to
ARW

Missed that - was assuming he meant it was rented.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Have you checked that the connections (probably choc-block) haven't failed? It's the most common fault I've seen on MR16s.

Reply to
John

LEDs are far more efficient than halogen. Many have poor light quality, but not all.

NT

Reply to
meow2222